1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Christmas gift Brinsea Octagon 20 advance EX with humidity pump

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickengrl, Dec 25, 2010.

1. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Merry Christmas! Santa was good to me this year. I got the incubator I was hoping for although it was rather pricey. We set it up and so far after 6 hours the temp is holding rock solid, the egg turner is moving, and the little humidity pump is doing a wonderful job. I am collecting from my girls for our first hatch and hope to set them around Wednesday(Dec 29th) or so. I should have RIR mix, black/blue copper marans (Whitmore's chickens), EE, possibly EE crossed with my beautiful blue cooper marans rooster, and will also set a few eggs from our buff Japanese bantam pair. I am really hoping the bantams are fertile. [​IMG] I am so eggcited!! [​IMG]

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:I have the same incubator, and I cant figure out how the humidity pump is supposed to work. The little turny thing on top just spins and spins and spins and nothing happens... What does yours do?

3. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Congratulations! You must have been very good this year [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wonderful Christmas gift!

I own three of 'em, that model (plus 3 MiniAdvances, two of which are the EX model). Love 'em all! Like plug-and-play incubators.

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Do you have the flexible tubing wrapped around the turning thing?

6. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:yep, everything looks the same as it does on the pic in the manual, but no water flows through the tube.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:yep, everything looks the same as it does on the pic in the manual, but no water flows through the tube.

Well, if it keeps turning, it's not getting the water there at all. You may have to prime it, by sucking on the tubing until it draws water up and through, past the turning control, and then reconnecting it to the rigid tube that goes into the 'bator. Also, just make sure the smaller length of the tube into the reservoir is actually INTO the water, and there is the loop as it comes out of the reservoir and connects to the turner thingie.

8. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada

Well, if it keeps turning, it's not getting the water there at all. You may have to prime it, by sucking on the tubing until it draws water up and through, past the turning control, and then reconnecting it to the rigid tube that goes into the 'bator. Also, just make sure the smaller length of the tube into the reservoir is actually INTO the water, and there is the loop as it comes out of the reservoir and connects to the turner thingie.

it is in the water, I'll have to try priming it. I didnt do that, thanks!

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Also make sure that it's wound in the right direction exactly as the little picture on the pump says. I had it wound with the wrong end up and wasn't getting water through my first try, but I just fixed it and then it worked perfectly. [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Keep April 2nd open and join us for our Easter Hatch.

It promises to be fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by