Christmas Gift from My Chickens: A New Clutch of Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barry Natchitoches, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    The gang out in the henhouse have banded together to offer me and my family a very special Christmas gift: a new clutch of baby chicks, to be hatched somewhere between Dec 23 - 26.

Momma officially announced yesterday that she IS broody. She is only nine months old, and has already hatched one group of chicks. She was a great mother, and apparantly is ready to do the deed again.

DaddyRoo gladly made his donations to the project, and all of the other hens are laying eggs for Momma to hatch.

I went out and got her a new dog cage to brood in, because the dog cage that she used last time is now in the big henhouse and her three babies from September are still living in it. I'll move her from her favorite nest in the henhouse to her own private nesting quarters in our spare bedroom tomorrow night.

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Post pics when the "gift" arrives!! What type of chicken?

3. what a great xmas gift!

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Oh that is so special [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:DaddyRoo is the most beautiful Easter Egger you ever saw!

Egg Mommas include:

2 barred rocks
    1 Easter Egger and
    1 Buff Orpington (in addition to Momma; cuz I'm not sure if Momma has laid any herself or not)

Momma had three successful hatches in her last clutch. I figure the number was so low in part because the hens were so young -- they were not even six months old yet, when she went broody the first time.

But that time, we got one half Barred Rock/half Easter Egger, one full Easter Egger, and one that we are not sure about (either a Barred Rock or the Easter Egger could have been her egg mother). We think they are all hens at this point, but I guess we'll be sure when we see them either begin to crow or else begin to lay eggs.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by