CHRISTMAS GIFT HELP!!! Calling all digital camera ppl!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cjeanean, Nov 19, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I need help picking out a good digital camera for my mom. I have a $100 limit, and I've seen some decent ones for about that price. Which one???? I also wanna get my sis a camera, but she's not getting an expensive one. $80 is the total for her, including rechargeable batteries and a memory card. The first list is of possibles for my mom, the second is for possibles for my sis. Which ones are the best???? Thanks!!!!

MOM:
    Kodak EasyShare MX1063 10MP Digital Camera w/ 3x Zoom
    Casio EX-Z9 8.1MP Digital Camera
    Samsung 10.2MP L200 Digital Camera
    Samsung S860 8MP Digital Camera w/ 3x Zoom
    Kodak EasyShare C913 9MP Digital Camera
    Kodak M893IS 8MP Digital Camera
    Kodak CD93 9.2 MP Digital Camera
    Samsung 10.0 Megapixel BL1050 5x Optical Zoom Digital Camera

SIS:
    Samsung S860 8MP Digital Camera w/ 3x Zoom
    Kodak EasyShare C913 9MP Digital Camera
    Insignia 7.0 MegaPixel Digital Camera

2. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I'm a semi-professional photographer (I take pictures for local newspapers)... I'm not familiar with all of the models you mentioned (newspapers shoot with SLRs) -- BUT -- my advice is: don't fall for the "more megapixels = better picture" thing. They do make better pictures, up to a point. But anything above 6MP will be fine, even if you blow up your pictures to poster size. And the quality of your pictures will be limited by the quality of your camera, not the number of megapixels, at this level of camera.
    So -- don't worry about getting 10 megapixels. If there's a camera with better optical zoom (OR digital... although digital is more fuzzy and less clear), OR a camera that's a better size for your mom -- or has other neat features (video, hooks right up to a printer, etc.), go for that! Don't pay more just for more megapixels. It's a hoax to make you spend more [​IMG]

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Well, all the ones I posted are under $100, cause that's my budget...I just don't know which to choose out of the list!!! Is Kodak better, or SamSung??? I don't know!!!!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Kodak easyshare is really like Digital Cameras for Dummies. Anyone can use, it comes with the software to download your pictures easily, etc. What NO camera comes with however is a memory card. You will be hard pressed to find a digital camera AND card for $80, or even $100. The cards for the easy share are pretty inexpensive though.

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    So is Kodak a good camera?? I want one that will let her take good pics....I know about the memory card thing, but I can get 2 at wal mart for like 20 bucks, so one card for each camera is $10, plus $20 for 4 rechargeable batteries and charger, so I've got it pretty closely estimated. I just don't know what to get....We have a Nikon CoolPix that I really don't like, so I kinda wanna do some research before buying the cameras for my sis and mom....

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The Kodak camera was my first digital and I would still have it if my son hadn't left it in his friends truck with the doors unlocked. [​IMG] Make sure that the camera's you get both take the same kind of card - many camera's take different cards.

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    All right, I think I'm gonna go with these....

For my Mom:
    Kodak EasyShare MX1063 10MP Digital Camera w/ 3x Zoom

For my sis:
    Insignia 7.0 MegaPixel Digital Camera

Can anyone tell me what to expect with these two choices??? Thanks, everyone, for the help!

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've had a few Kodaks over the years (and currently) very happy with them , good support and easy to use for the non-expert.

WAIT until the day after Thanksgiving to shop! The sales on digital cameras will be INSANE!!! Watch those flyers for good deals.

I couldn't tell you about the Insignias. (other than that the MP3 players I got from their brand were JUNK!) But maybe their cameras are better. Fuji is another pretty good, affordable, reliable brand.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  9. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Yeah, the MP3 player I got for hubby was junk....But I saw some good reviews on the camera, so I'm hoping it'll be better...I'm looking at projected black friday sales, that's what I'm basing my choices on....Whatever the case it's a cheap camera for a 17yr old, as long as it takes pics clearly that's all that really matters [​IMG]

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Oh, for a teen... yeah.. LOL Get the cheapest highest pixel cam you can find.. LOL Just buy them one of those bling kits to artsy it up LOL Granted.... if the Insignia MP3 had been MINE... it would have had a longer life... it really just depends on how much you're willing to take care of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by