Christmas gift ideas?

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
So this year everyone decided they wouldn't tell me what they want for Christmas. I hate just giving them money, since it's so uncreative and boring. Does anyone have some ideas of things I could make on my own, without spending a ton of money?

there is many things u can make for presants, what kind of hobbies u got or things u can do ie: sewing, crochet, baking, gardening, painting ect?

last year i made my kids and my nieces and nephews all lap quilts. for my kid's i crocheted, scarves, hand held game pouches to hold their systems, chargers and games some were for mp3 players also. i also made potholders, homemade candy and stockings, choc pb cakes, divinity, pb fudge, cookies, blackberry jam, homemade wine, pillows, gift baskets with homemade bath stuff. one year i made aprons and filled the pockets with flower bulbs, seeds ect for gardenig some i did with cookie mixes for bakeing aprons.

let me know some things u can do and i'll see if i can help with anymore ideas.

Last edited:
here is a link for recipes http://sz0135.ev.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/cookbook.pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=318&part=2

hope
this gives you some ideas

a few samples from it is...

Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
15 Saltines
2 cups Dry minced parsley flakes
1/2 cup Dry minced onion
2 tablespoons Dry dill weed
1/4 cup Onion salt
1/4 cup Garlic salt
1/4 cup Onion powder
1/4 cup Garlic powder
Salad Dressing:
1 tablespoon Mix
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 cup Buttermilk
Put crackers through blender on high speed until powdered. Add
parsley, minced onions, and dill weed. Blend again until
powdered. Dump into bowl. Stir in onion salt, garlic salt, onion
powder, and garlic powder. Put into container with tight−fitting
lid.
Store dry mix at room temperature for 1 year. Makes 42 1
tablespoon servings. To use mix−−Combine mix, mayonnaise,
and buttermilk.
Yield: 1 pint.
Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing 202

Bailey's Original Irish Cream
1 cup light cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey
1 teaspoon instant coffee
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend at high speed
for about 20 seconds.
Transfer to a clean bottle with a tightly fitting cap.
Store, refrigerated, and shake well before using.
Bailey's Original Irish Cream 26

Starbuck's Frappuccino
1/2 cup fresh espresso
2 1/2 cups lowfat milk (2 percent)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dry pectin
Combine all ingredients in a covered container. Shake until
sugar and pectin are dissolved.
Starbuck's Frappuccino 404

Last edited:
I tend to make random things, but unfortunately I don't necessarily have any crafty hobbies, like crocheting, knitting, and such. Luckily I can sew!
tongue.png
I'm mostly a drawing person. I suppose I could do some woodburnings for some people, since I'm getting pretty good at it. Cooking I can do
smile.png
Pillows I could easily do, as I have made them before, and sewing little pouches for phones and electronics. I've got some ideas pouring into my head, that didn't occur to me before. You guys must have unblocked my art section of my brain
lol.png

Speaking of bath stuff, what kind of bath stuff?
smile.png
I've always wanted to make some of those bath bombs, but I think those require citric acid, and I'm not sure where to find that without ordering it. All of us ladies in the family love anything that smells good, so bath stuff would be great for them!

i taught myself how to crocet by watching u tube,lol. i could not pick it up from my mom trying to teach me.
wink.png
sewing is awesome my family loves when i sew stuff. i love woodburnings that is a great idea ur family would love that! everyone loves yummies!
lol.png
i've never made any that required stuff to buy most things we had around the house already to make them. except some of the kid's toy ones for floam and puttys and such needed elmers glue or borax things like that i had to go buy. i've not made the bath bombs but we use citric acid for makeing wine and buy it at the wine shop or the wineries it is usually $2-3 for a 2oz jar if i remember right. if u have a wine shop close to u check there. if u can't find it let me know.

Maybe you could make some nice foundation paper piecing pot holders. I have made 3 pairs so far. One is a cow and the other two pairs are chickens like in my avatar. I am still working on the cows. If you make them make sure you buy the right kind of batting. It must be made for heat. I use my cotton batting that I use on quilts. It doesn't melt or anything.

I think tole painting is quite easy. Or I was led to believe. Not sure what you could make to paint though.

Maybe some egg ornaments. I have seen a lovely thread somewhere on here. Gosh they were beautiful. I will look for it. If someone finds it maybe they could post it.

How about cookies. Everyone loves cookies...don't they?
wink.png
I love boiled cookies aka no bake cookies. Instead of putting them on wax paper I put them in a square glass cake pan like fudge. Works and it doesn't waste wax paper. Then I go to the dollar store and get one of those fancy tins and line it with some nice tissue and fill it with the yummy cookies. Great stuff. Or chocolate chip cookies. Yum anything homemade.
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

I am getting some ideas from this thread already. Great posting.

Back
Top Bottom