Christmas Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by FHardy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. FHardy

FHardy New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    We are planning on a goose for Christmas. It's arriving in a refrigerated truck--this Wednesday, the 19th--from Nickys', a very reputable meat/poultry purveyor in Portland, OR. The bird is fresh. Will it keep in the frig until Xmas, or should we consume it earlier?? Any advice most appreciated. Thanks. Our first goose, and my first post here. F.Hardy, Eugene, OR

2. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    It depends on how the goose is packaged. Usually it will only keep raw in the fridge for 2 or 3 days, so unless the packaging says differently, you should either consume it before Christmas or put it in the freezer for a few days.

If the goose has been packed using gasses (a mixture of CO2 and nitrogen), it will say so on the package, and you can safely consume it within the date on the packaging.

If you decide to freeze it, put it in the freezer immediately when you receive it. Allow it to thaw slowly in the fridge for 2-4 days before you cook it, depending on the size of the goose and the temperature of your fridge. I'd say 3 days for a 10-pound goose at 41 degrees.

I recommend slow-roasting at 212-300 degrees. The lower the temperature, the longer the cooking time (and of course, the size of the goose matters), but you should allow it to cook at least 6-8 hours. Slow-roasting makes the meat tender and juicy.

In my family we always have duck or goose for Christmas. The freezing doesn't alter the taste measurably - what really matters is how the bird was raised. Last year I bought an organic, free-range duck and it was wonderful. This year we're having a goose from the same place. It has been grazing, running and bathing, and I'm sure it'll be just as scrumptious as the duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by