Christmas is approaching

chickenboy7c2d

Songster
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Surrey, England, UK
So, christmas is approaching and I have been to the nearest cheap store and bought my chickens a £2.50 christmas tree (I'm english, i don't know the conversions), 12 bourballs for £2.50 all together and £1 tinsel. It brightens up their run and looks great. Has anyone else got into the christmas spirit, and got their chickens in the spirit?

Sorry, I don't decorate the chickens pens....I barely do any decorating in my own house, but I'd make sure they can't get ahold of the tinsel......something like that will do nasty things to their insides.

Interesting. I googled bourball and it looks like a regular glass Christmas ball. I don't think I'd leave them where the chickens can get to them. If they pecked it, it might break, then might eat the glass shards or cut their feet. Sounds pretty though, you'll have to post pictures of your "Christmas Coop & Run"

Imp

I've thought about using an artificial tree for my girls next year, but since I am in the US, I will be going to the nearest Walmart and getting the unbreakable ornaments. They are still really pretty but the girls can't hurt themselves on it.
smile.png
Also, make sure they aren't edible size. That might cause problems too. I've actually also thought about making some popcorn garland so they have a little treat
smile.png
Wish you had a picture of it! It sounds beautiful!

I too had to google bourball, but I agree with Imp now that I have seen what it is. LOL! I wouldn't leave those in reach of the chickens. Honestly, I'd be reluctant to leave an artificial tree itself in there. If they pick at the tree and eat too many of the "needles" seems like it could bind up their crop.

If you want to decorate the run why not go with a small, but real, potted evergreen and decorate it with popcorn and cranberry garlands? They probably wouldn't last long but at least when the chickens ate them it wouldn't make them sick.

Back
Top Bottom