1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

'Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole'

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by canesisters, Nov 16, 2012.

1. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I'm really hoping someone can help me here.
    My Mom used to make this wonderful casserole for Christmas mornings. She would fix it the night before and bake it while we opened presents. She would never tell us exactly what was in it, and we only had it once a year so we never did figure it out.
    Well, this year my sister is having Thanksgiving dinner with her in-laws. She didn't want to have lunch with Dad and me and then turn right around and have a big dinner so I suggested that we meet for a special brunch. Then, since it will be at my house, I got elected to provide the main dish - and everyone wants Mom's Christmas Morning Casserole.
    I know it has sausage, cheese, and cream of mushroom soup in it. All the receipes I've found list slices of bread, mustard and some other things in them that just don't seem right.
    So - does anyone make this? And would you share your receipe?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    hey lady, the only caserole was from a man from Greers ferry lake. he made copperhead casserole.

sorry cant help you.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Canesisters,

I think my sister made one similar one year. Did it have potato hash browns in it?
    I will look up the recipe tonight for you and post it so you can see if it is similar to your moms.

I make the one with the bread cubes alot. We like ham, bacon, cheddar cheese, mushrooms, onions, tomato, and then the egg mixture over it all. In fact, I make a single serve version of the bread one in a small ramkin for myself some mornings. Just mix it up, let it set 10 minutes while I feed the pets, then in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes and enjoy. Very tasty!

4. Smithyard Farm

Smithyard Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Pembroke NH
    i make one like that

16 slices bread (I use thick multi grain as it is a bit more heartier)
    4 boxes of breakfast sausage (10oz sized) I like the maple flavored
    2 med onions
    1 lb of mushrooms
    2 cups milk
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    16 oz shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you like)
    dozen eggs

use a deep 9 x 13-inch pan or casserole dish -

whisk together eggs, milk, and soup

cook the susage (already cooked so just heat up) and cut into bite sized chunks

chop the onions, and cook them in the oil. when done, add mushrooms and cook thouroughly, about another for 5 - 6 minutes. add salt and pepper to taste.

Place 1/2 of the bread slices on the bottom of the pan and then layer 1/2 the cooked sausage on top., then 1/2 the onion/mushroom mixture and 1/2 the egg mixture, and then 1/2 the cheese, then repeat with another layer

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350 uncovered, until heated through, about 40 minutes.

I also have made a hashbrown casserole, and a french toast casserole using cinnamon swirl bread that are really good too if you are interested.

5. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Jensmith215, I used your recipe and it was a HIT! Thanks!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    jensmith214,

If you find the time, would you post the recipe for the hashbrown casserole? I would like to try that one out.
    The french toast casserole sound good also, but I don't really like cinnamon swirl bread.

7. Smithyard Farm

Smithyard Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Pembroke NH
    You dont have to use the cinnamon swirl, you can use regular.

I'll post the hash brown one when I get home tonight -

Glad you liked it!!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by