Christmas Present Ideas for Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flockoffour, Dec 23, 2012.

1. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas of somethnig to get my flock of chickens for christmas? Thanks

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    You could give them meal worms. Look on mypetchicken.com and they have some stuff that you could buy for your chickens.

3. Tessa Innis

Tessa Innis New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    I have a minor problem I have six hens and their run has become very wet and muddy what do you recomend to put as a layer over top I did read bark was not a good idea because it tends to go mouldy what do you suggest

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    You can get live crickets at PetCo or PetSmart. Let loose a few dozen in your run and your hens will have fun chasing and catching them.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I have given mine warm rice pudding - they don't seem to mind it one bit!

6. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    You might want to repost your question in the "coop design, construction & maintenance" section for better results.

7. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    Thanks everyone for the ideas! I will try to post it again in the coop design/maintenence

8. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I think Hummingbird was suggesting Tessa repost in the maintenance section. Not you. This is the section you should be in. Anyway, I would give oatmeal maybe. Something warm and I know they love it.

9. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I'm making mine hot (warm really) oatmeal with raisins and coconut mixed in. I also usually add sunflower seeds but I don't have any at the moment. I often make it for them on really cold days but thought it'd be a nice christmas morning treat.

10. coolsilkie555

coolsilkie555 Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    UK
    I read up that instead of just throwing mealworms into the run, you could get one of those clear balls (which were meant to be baubles that you put pictures in), drill little holes in it and fill it with mealworms, and let the chickens roll it about and peck the mealworms out of it.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by