Christmas Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JennBurger, Dec 25, 2014.

1. JennBurger

JennBurger New Egg

Dec 5, 2014
    Los Angeles
    So I had the marvelous idea to add a few Xmas tree branches to my quail hutch. I have (had) 8 in a rabbit hutch that are 3-4 weeks old. They loved it for the first day. The next morning one was dead. This morning they didn't get all excited to see me and 2 were acting drunk. So far 3 have died today. I moved the remaining 4 back to my brooder to keep them warm and monitor them more closely. The only thing I've done differently this week from the past few weeks and from the bigger birds in a different hutch is add the tree branches. I am thinking the tree must've had some sort of pesticides or something sprayed on it at the farm. I will NOT be making that mistake again and just want to give other boo it's a heads up who may have the same idea this time of year.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC!

I'm a chicken person (never had quail) but with chickens, pine shavings can be used in coops if it is kiln dried (dust can cause respiratory problems) and cedar is toxic to chickens. Your situation may be different as you have quail and you had pine branches. Sorry for the loss of your birds, that's always tough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by