Christmas Setting - First Hatch

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by DaybreakOrps, Dec 24, 2014.

1. DaybreakOrps

DaybreakOrps Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Strawberry Plains, TN
    I am a first timer getting ready to set eggs late this evening. I ordered 24 Buff Orpingtons from the Mad Hatcher in GA, a cheap chinese incubator and a candling light. I made arrangements with my post office and picked them up this morning at 6 a.m. as they arrived from the transit truck. They were 2 days in the USPS system. I have them sitting large end up on my counter with the intent of letting them sit until later this evening when I fire up the new incubator. What else do I need to do, think about, plan for, etc.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Only 1 egg was broken in shipment, so we will have 23 to set!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, if you'd like a hatching buddy, I can join! I can set at least one egg, maybe more if my hens were generous today. Sounds like you have everything under control so far!

3. DaybreakOrps

Dec 20, 2014
    Strawberry Plains, TN
    YAY!!!! I would love a hatching buddy! I can wait and set mine in the morning so we can see if your hens do any Christmas magic!! I don't think it will hurt to leave my settling until morning.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sure, if you'd like! I generally recommend letting eggs rest after shipping for 24 hours so if they just arrived today that would give them more time to settle anyway :)

5. slayers911

slayers911 New Egg

Dec 24, 2014
    I just got in 14 Silkie eggs so I am going to set them in the morning and come along for the ride with you both! :)

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

:welcome Will this be your first hatch?

7. DaybreakOrps

Dec 20, 2014
    Strawberry Plains, TN
    [​IMG]Awesome!!! Maybe we will have a couple more to join us tonight! I will set mine as soon as I get up in the morning, which I am sure will be early since the kiddos will be tearing into presents.

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'll give my girls till about noon or one to see if anybody wants to lay before I set tomorrow :) I'll set some quail eggs too but those will hatch before the chicken eggs do.

9. DaybreakOrps

Dec 20, 2014
    Strawberry Plains, TN
    I set mine this morning at about 6:30 a.m. We numbered them with a Sharpie and have them at about 37.8 C with 52% humidity. I moved the incubator off the kitchen counter as it was near the dishwasher. I noticed that the humidity was fluctuating with all of the holiday dishes. I now have it on a shelf in the dining room. How many did everyone end up setting?

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I set mine this afternoon! Three eggs, two cemani crosses and a gigantic leghorn egg from a hen who lays like crazy and I want more of her genetics in my flock. I I also set four coturnix quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by