Christmas Suprise!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crj, Dec 24, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    [​IMG] Well, today I found my male Sebastapol mating with my Super African goose. This is a first for me but I don't know about them. The Sebbies are 8 months old and the Super African is 6 months. I notice she had been sitting in a spare coop and she was in there again today. When she was out with the other birds I went to take a peek. She has covered up 4! I counted them 4 goose eggs!

I knew something was up because he behavior had been different. She kept coming up to me wanting me to pet her but at the same time you could see she was wanting to tell me something but didn't know how. It, I know, it sounds strange. You see, if I walked past the little coop she was in she would give this low honk kind of sound to let me know she was in there. Each time I'd walk by she would see me and make a sound.... lol. Guess she knew I was looking for her. I'm so proud of her.

I'm hoping they are fertile. I think I will see if a friend of mine can try hatching them. She wants to buy some duck eggs so maybe I can make a deal with her. Giver her all the duck eggs she wants and hatch my geese and some Polish Chickens! What do you think I will get with an Male Sebastapol crossed with a Super African female? I am truly excited.

Merry Christmas too you all!!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's so wonderful! I loved reading about how she calls to you.... My geese always acknowledge my presence. And personality plus!

Merry Christmas!!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's a great story.

Imp

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I got another suprise today. Not quite sure what to make of it. I actually saw my Pekin duck mating with my Super African. Does that mean I will have DucGoose chicks or that my goose is a hussy?

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I got another suprise today. The eggs have vanished! So sad and my goose Daffy was upset too. She let me in the little coop/house to help her find them. I was on my hands and knees and could only get my arm inside. It's sort of like a dog house but used for birds. A turkey hen used it last spring. Well, I baited the coop with duck eggs and set up my game cam. I hope I find the culprit. I bet it's my dog. UGH! The day before I noticed 2 duck eggs missing in the duck coop and that was during the day. My chickens LOVE the duck coop and spend most of their day in it. Go figure. Anyway, my goose is only 6 months old and I'm not sure she is ready to sit on eggs yet so I'm going to bring them in. I got 1 for today.

Can anyone enlighten me on young geese and sitting on a nest? I have 3 female geese total. Two of them are 6 months and the others are 8 months (1 male) I haven't noticed or found the other females laying eggs yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by