Christmas treasures, do you have any?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Robin'sBrood, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Do you have an ornament that is extra special... or anything else. Tell about it here.

I'll start. When my DH was a child his aunt made him a homemade stocking. When we got married, his mother gave the stocking to me -- I guess because he didn't decorate for Christmas when he was a bachelor. [​IMG]

Anyway, his sweet aunt made stockings for me and my 3 year old son (from a previous marriage) to go along with DH's stocking. As each of our 3 children came along, she made stockings for them too. Aunt Tee is now 80 years old and battling breast cancer. Her stockings are very special to me. I will always treasure them because they were made with love. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DH's is on the far left and is 45 years old. Next there is Austin's (15 yrs), Aaron's (10 yrs), Elizabeth's (7 yrs), Chase's and Robin's (mine), (both 17 yrs old)

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a little knitted stocking that we hang on our tree every year. It was Mindy's ( our first Aussie Shepherd ), who made the tramatic move to the wilderness with us so many years ago. I miss her still. One GREAT dog!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I envy your family links. I don't have anything from anybody. I think my favorite ornament is the stone-cast one I got last year that looks like a Buff Orp and has a little fuzzy chick snuggled next to it.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

When I was first divorced, my son and I made ornaments out of white paper and cardboard with markers and glittered sticks. They are HORRID, but at least one goes on the tree every year to remind us how MUCH we have now.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    It's our family tradition that each person has their own homemade, personalized quilted stocking. Mine was made when I was about 2 years old (now I am 26). It has a snowman on one side and an angel on the other because that's what I chose at that age. My mom asked me to choose button eyes for the angel -- they are dark green. [​IMG]

When I got engaged to my DH, we added him to the tradition by making him a stocking, too. His is themed like various objects from video games he loves, with a Christmas twist. On one side, we made a quilted version of the car from Outrun 2 SP. It was very fun trying to embroider the detail on a car and figure out how to make taillights with buttons. [​IMG] He doesn't know it, but I wrote a prayer on a piece of paper for him and hid it in the quilting of the stocking. Maybe one day our grandchildren will find it when the stocking is worn out.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    We have family made stockings as well...very important to us...I also have an ornamnet that has Santa in his sleigh being pulled by the reindeer...it has been on every tree I have been at for Christmas since my grandmother's neighbor gave it to me...at least 30 yrs...

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    my partylite gingerbread house . might not be much but it has a few thousand miles on its back. made a few trips and even across the atlantic ocean.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My MIL makes stockings and each of us have one. They are lovely treasures.

I have spent 24 years collecting things for Christmas. So many things have memories attached. We ornaments on vacations, they are given as gifts by people we love.

I would be hard pressed to choose just one.

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have the Christmas stocking my mom had hand knitted for me when I was small, my sister has one too. I also have my very first ornament. Its a snoopy who used to have a scooter which is long since lost. I have the stocking I got for my 17 year old son when he was born and i buy each child an ornament each year.

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    When I was a child my grandmother had this tin she always filled with treats for us. It was black with every color imaginable and it always sat down in ther den.
    When Grandmother died, the tin was given to me. It now sits in my den and I keep it stocked with Hershey kisses for my nieces. They come in and look for it first thing.
    It always makes me smile to see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by