Christmas Tree = Extreme Fire Hazard

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Matt A NC, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I ran errands today and saw that all the tree stands are starting to fill up with Christmas Trees. As usual most are cut.

What most folks don't know is that Christmas Tree cutting in NC/SC/TN/VA starts the last week of OCTOBER. The tree paddocks, where they are packed into and then shipped from, were filled to the edge by the second week of November. That tree you are buying and taking into you house has already been cut for up to 3 weeks or more.

About the only trees that are cut now are last minute orders and those that folks actually go to the fields to see cut.

A tree bought and setup at Thanksgiving and admired till new years will have been cut for 2 months or longer. No matter how much you water it, that is one seriously DEAD and dry tree. One spark and you have a giant match stick in your house.

Be careful with those things.

Matt

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My parents always went and cut our own, and we waited till about 2 weeks before Christmas to do it so the tree wouldn't be so dead.

Still, everyone be careful! The new LED lights are sooooooo much cooler burning and therefore I'd assume safer. I invested in some and they are nice [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    That's why we ended up going with artifical trees. [​IMG]

4. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I am so happy we have a tree farm down the road from us. It is always so much fun cutting our own tree every year. It is a family tradition for us [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:That is priceless and will be such a treasured memory [​IMG] We switched to artificial last year [​IMG] I like to leave the lights on all the time, though we did buy all LEDs this year. I envy your tradition.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Christmas: When else is it ok to sit in front of a dead tree and eat candy out of our socks?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Or wait for an imaginary fat guy with a white beard to bring us something for nothing...

We either cut ours fresh the day after Thanksgiving in the mountains, or we put up an artificial tree. It's going to be artificial this year, I'm too tired this year to make the day long trip to Heber for permits and then the "Hunt" for the tree, and then back home, but our kids have had fun in the past.

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I saw a film on a x-mas tree starting fire. It went fast and started everything on fire around it FAST. I would never use a real tree for that reason. Every Christmas at least one family dies around here from a Christmas tree exploding and starting the whole place on fire. There's always dead kids involved. I don't deal well with that. Really bothers me. I also hate all the pine needles everywhere and the dogs like to pee on them.

I'm not a big fan of x-mas trees anymore. I usually put it up 2 days before x-mas and take it down on x-mas. I grumble the whole time. I do enjoy giving the ornaments to the kids to put on it. I hate attaching the lights to it. Then the stupid cats like to climb the things and play with the ornaments.

I used to love the Christmas season as a kid. I hate it now. My Dad was a toy buyer for a department store chain. He got a lot of freebies. We were just a little spoiled with toys for that reason. Now I have 7 kids to buy for and it is a burden. My fault though. Should have just started them on 2 presents each.

Bah Humbug.

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thanks for the warning. We buy ours from a tree farm just around the corner. It isn't cut until we place the yardstick next to it, and that is about 2 weeks before Christmas. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by