Christmas tree tax

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickened, Nov 9, 2011.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah, i read that earlier today... [​IMG]

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Me too. Makes me appreciate my 14 wooded acres. And after beating up my new truck with pine trees in the way, I feel like getting into the christmas tree business this year and just chop them all down. Them are angry trees!!!! [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nope, the Whitehouse does not want to 'tax' Christmas trees. It was an industry proposed surcharge for advertising funding. Ain't gonna happen anyway.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:what advertising? the only thing i ever see are some hand painted signs on the road side. Xmas trees dont need advertising, either you buy a real one each year or you got a plastic one(or none at all. Whats next ? Menora tax for the candles? things the industry comes up with

6. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:you are correct. Here is a quot from the article....

"The Obama Administration is not taxing Christmas trees. What's being talked about here is an industry group deciding to impose fees on itself to fund a promotional campaign, similar to how the dairy producers have created the 'Got Milk? campaign. That said, USDA is going to delay implementation and revisit this action,"

7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I thought they were calling them "Holiday trees?" [​IMG]

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I admit I didn't read the whole article but as a former christmas tree guy I really am confused why tree growers/sellers need help marketing the trees. All the people I know already know how to market them. The government could help by stop calling them "holiday" trees.

The problem here in Oregon is there is a glut of trees on the market. Our prime farm land was coverted to trees and now there is too many.

If this is going to be similar to the milk campaign then no thanks, they probably will make you a criminal if you sell a tree that the USDA has not inspected.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Read further. The USDA (and I dealt with them while earning a living [​IMG]) wants no part of this.

10. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Slightly off subject, but for us Christmas trees began shipping
    last week.

Seems way early to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by