Christmas was good until we came home..........

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lockedhearts, Dec 25, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    We went to my In-Laws yesterday , made sure all the chickens had feed and water. I had someone feeding the horses.
    Came home and the first thing was my barn lights were out, that meant the brooders light were out, I panicked, Luckily all were ok.
    Fed horses and all, went to the big coop to gather eggs, walked in and there is my Big Black Cochin, Rhett, DEAD!
    He had a really miserable molt, but was getting his feathers back and has been acting just normal.
    I am soooo upset!!!!! [​IMG]

Rhett had to have been one of the sweetest roosters ever. My RIR Matilda was feeling yucky last week and he stayed by her, kept her warm on cold nights, in fact he kept all his girls warm when it got cold.

Poor Guy! I have no idea what I am going to do now.

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    So sorry to hear about your Rhett.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Karen, I'm so, so sorry! Any ideas? I know the molts here have been fierce.

4. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I have no idea [​IMG]

He had gotten most of his feathers back, was eating, drinking and acting just fine yesterday and all last week, No depression or unusual behavior at all. He was only about 2 years old, so I don't think age was a factor. He hadn't crowed much lately, but I attributed that to the molt.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My nephews name is Rhett. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I bought a pair in April, Rhett & Scarlett. Got a Splash hen a few months later, Tara.

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] I am sooo sorry. Can you hatch out some of his eggs and perhaps get a son, like SpeckledHen did when Hawkeye died? I know it won't be the same, but he might help.

9. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I can stick some eggs in the bator, but the last ones I tried were not fertile due to his molt.

I do have one daughter of his, Darla. I need a Black Male.

10. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    You said that most of his feathers had grown back in so maybe he was over his molt enough that had begun to breed again. I hope so......

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by