Christmass, what did you buy for who?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rebelcowboysnb, Dec 9, 2010.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Obviously this thread is not for people that have family that reads this website too but I need help an assume others do to. I can usually fine something good for the guys but the girls are hard.

If you found the perfect gift for someone on your list share with us.

Sorta like:
    I bought X item for Y aged Male/Female from Z store for $$ amount of money.

I have brothers an sisters spanning there 20s an 30s, dad, stepmom, nieces an nephews to all figure out.

I got every household a ice cream maker 2 years ago for $30 something each.
    Last year I bought $10 trinkets from different places over seas for everyone.

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I bought DD (21) and her hubby a massagey thingy that fits on a chair. It was on sale for about $200 at Kohls. DS,15, gets PS3 and computer games. Sister and I never exchange gifts, idk why, just never have. We spend it all on our kids I guess.

3. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    If you're crafty....I just had someone give me one of these and I want to make them for some family and friends....It's called a "corn bag" from what I understand. (Google it and you'll find lots of websites with pictures!) I love mine [​IMG] It's made of flannel fabric, sewn into a "bag" sealed with velcro. A bag of rice was dumped into it (some are made with corn instead). You put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes and it works really well as a "wet heat" for aches and pains. You don't have to change the rice in it...just stick it in the microwave again and again....It works well for warming my feet when I'm cold!!

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:I heat mine up every night! I get cold so easily.

5. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    I got DD (29) a Kitchenaide 5 speed Blender.

and

SIL (28) a Kitchenaide Stand Mixer with a Cover,

GD (13) Texting Go Phone (pre-paid)
    GD (9) Pottery Wheel with extras
    GS (5) Ben 10 Alien Creation Laboratory and Fox in Socks book

Brother (46) Scotts Country Hams Gift box

Husbands DD (32) Plane Ticket to Montana for a visit with her Dad,

Husbands SIL (32) Made in Montana Gift Box

DH (54) Scope for his rifle and a warm fuzzy pair of slippers!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The one big noteworthy thing we bought this year was the Lego Mindstorm robotics kit for the Kinder Major. She had a chance to use one at the county 4-H Project Day the other day then talked about it for days and the leader who demonstrated it said she showed some aptitude and thought she'd do well with it. We've been wanting some sort of high-tech non-computer game hobby for her to sort of balance out the ag related stuff I drag her into.

It ain't cheap and it took some real convincing on her part to get me to say yes. Part of which was having to write me a two page essay detailing the benefits. The first time she gave it to me I worked it over with my red pen, handed it back and said, "you can do better. You want me to spend the money then spend some effort in convincing me." For only being in the sixth grade her second effort was pretty good so I said OK. She also understands that except for stocking stuffers and a new winter coat it's the only thing she's going to get this Christmas but she's happy.

As a part of her research she discovered there's an app for the Android phone that can be used to control the robot. That sucked her mama in and left me alone to wage the battle. Pretty slick on her part I thought. She's beginning to get it that if she wants the good stuff she's got to work for it.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Check out the Vermont Country Store catalog or website. If you're not familiar, they have a little of everything, and specialize in good quality and the hard to find.

If I needed to get inexpensive stuff I'd hit the Christmas section and pick up small decorative trees or candles or various doodads. Or everyone would get a basket of food from Hickory Farms.

But then I'm not big on shopping and certainly avoid it this time of year.

What I will actually do is buy a HVAC unit (already done) and give each grandkid cash.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010
  8. ebwy2

ebwy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    mother (in her 60's) - towels
    fiance's father - towels
    (Planning on blanket stitching around them before I wrap 'em)

brother & his wife - cow stuff (cow placemats, cuddly toy cows, that sort of thing coz they collect)

fiance - beer, beer special edition with glass, sweatshirt. planning to get him a bluetooth headset or something else too if I see anything I think he might like or need.

friend we live with (male, 30) - beer, beer special edition with glass. going to give him some chocolates I made (if I ever get around to making any more!)

friend's parents (they've more or less adopted me) - planning to bake shortbread, gingerbreadmen, cup cakes, and have made chocolates. Also my spiced hot chocolate mix.

grandmother (ancient) - Framed photo of the baby, might get her some fluffy socks too.

baby (5 months old) - loads of pre-loved toys, but I also bought him this when it was down to £24.99
    http://www.mamasandpapas.com/produc...activity-centre-little-land/442842400/type-i/
    might get him some other bits but generally he gets things as he gets to be old enough to use them anyway if I can afford them

friend (female, 37) - microwaveable heat bag shaped like an elephant.

others - home made chocolates, cakes etc

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I got DH a Backball, from http://www.backballmassage.com/

We
    got to try one at a store when he was home on leave, and I ordered one and it should be here by christmas, or his birthday at the latest. They're amazing at fixing back pain. $35 plus shippping

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't buy gifts for too many people, just my immediate family. My brother and I are both in college, so we only spend about $10 on each other. I got him a cologne this year that smells wonderful. My dad I bought a subscription to a horse magazine he likes and some movies from the five dollar section at walmart. I spent about $30 on him. For my mom I got the Godfather trilogy which was about $30 and for her birthday which is right before christmas I am buying her a new hair dryer. I figure that will also be about $30.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by