Christopher or Christina?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickforchicks, Dec 8, 2016.

1. chickforchicks

chickforchicks Just Hatched

Dec 8, 2016
    Virginia
    I have a small flock of mostly 18 week old Barred Rock chickens. I know the gender of 6 of them but 1 is causing me to scratch my head. He/she is smaller than the roosters with a smaller comb and wattle and is lighter in color than the hens. He/she doesn't get involved when the roosters try to show each other who the boss is, but his color is throwing me. I'm leaning toward hen, but wanted someone else's opinion since I'm new at this. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That is a pullet, but you're right, the color's weird. Makes me think the bird has something else mixed in - doesn't look pure BR to me.

3. chickforchicks

chickforchicks Just Hatched

Dec 8, 2016
    Virginia
    That's disappointing since I ordered them all from a hatchery. Oh well, certainly not the end of the world. Thank you for your help! I hope her eggs are slightly different than the others so I know which ones I don't want to attempt to hatch. We'll have to wait and see.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think it is a pullet. Some hatchery BRs, since they aren't bred for standard perfection, get a little messed up and some girls get the guys coloring.

6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is a Pullet and it is pure....Have no Worries..........

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by