1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chronic head shaking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencowgirl6, Dec 1, 2016.

1. chickencowgirl6

chickencowgirl6 New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    Hello all! I purchased two new serama hens about two months ago. Since day one they have chronically shaked their heads. They are active, strong appetites, breathing clear, nostrils and eyes clear, laying eggs and otherwise seem extremely healthy. I treated them with tetracycline just to rule out any URI. I also used diatomaceous earth as their dust bath for a week and a couple of days ago I tried some Sevin dust on them thinking it was mites. Nothing has seemed to help them at all. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Have you inspected inside their ears to see if there are any mites/lice or possibly infection?

If parasites are not the cause, then it could be a genetic or neurological/developmental disorder. You may want to add some poultry vitamins to their water. Look for one that has Vitamin E and the B vitamins to see if they improve.

3. chickencowgirl6

chickencowgirl6 New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    I have inspected their ears and no sign of anything abnormal. At a loss of what could be causing it. I will pick up a vitamin. Thank you for your reply!

4. Huntress78

Huntress78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    NE Wisconsin
    My whole flock has the chronic head shake in response to noise. If you talk to them, a hen cackles or male crows they all shake their heads. This flock was diagnosed through necropsy as having Mycoplasma Synoviae.

I hope your birds remain healthy but if something happens look to MS as a possible cause.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by