Chronic Renal Failure in cats **update**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jasmine1998, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Does anyone know anything about this? I just took my 13 year old cat to the vet tonight & they think this is what is wrong with him. He has stopped eating, excessive thirst, drooling & mouth ulcers. We are waiting to get his blood work back tomorrow but they sent me home tonight with some antibiotics & ulcer medication.
    [​IMG]

Update 8/23/11
    All of Deanie's test came back good except for his urine concentration which was high. I took him back to the vet tonight because he was still drooling & having difficulty eating. The vet is going to give him some anesthesia tomorrow morning & do some biopsies on his mouth. There is a possibility that he may have mouth cancer now. If that is the case then the vet said the prognosis is not good. So lets just hope that it is just a really stubborn ulcer....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just lost one of my cats to it last winter. Depending on how much damage there is will determine what you can or can't do for him.

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Lost one to it last fall. We decided not to go the route of administering subcutaneous fluid because he just did not take to it well at the vet's office during the week he was there. Good luck to you and your kitty.

4. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Ahhhhh [​IMG]

I hope the blood work shows there is something that can be done.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] I'm so very sorry.

I lost my 15 year old cat to renal failure last September. I miss him so much.

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I'm very sorry and I hope fluids at home can help your boy.

I lost my sweetie-pie feline girl to it.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    He is a very handsome boy.

Chronic Renal Failure is NOT good. I hope the results come back ok and you can get to feeling better.

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Lost my overweight polydactyl cat to that. Sorry, don’t have pics of him anymore.

9. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    I've had two kitties die of it. One lived for a couple years, the other went very quickly.

Sub Q fluids are very easy to give, and for some kitties they make all the difference. I learned a lot about acid control, and food and stuff, so if you decide to go the home therapy route, I'll be happy to help you look up web sites and share the tips I learned along the way.

10. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    The vet said that he will wait till we get the blood work back to see what his numbers are & then they want me to bring Deanie back in to give fluids & flush the kidneys. He did eat a little bit of food this morning, so hopefully the medicine is helping him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by