Chronic respiratory disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arshbabii420, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Arshbabii420

Arshbabii420 New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    So our flock of silkies started sneezing a couple if weeks ago. I started to notice more and more sneezing so we decided to quarantine them and treat them with a water soluble powder. It's been 6 days since the treatment started and some of them are still sneezing. Any suggestions?

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Treat with Denagard maybe? Google it?

3. subluxationskill

subluxationskill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    I was thinking about all the anti biotics everyone gives chickens.....both backyard and commercial........

when i was a kid we never had any of our chickens cough or get sick...........and we had over 200 over a ten year span....

fast forwarded 20 years....i have kids....we get chickens.....

every darn chicken i have gotten has gotten sick with these respiratory problems and I am willing to bet a lot of money it is the result of all these darn antibiotics poeple thoruw at ever thing.......

each generation is getting weaker because people dont let nature do its job......antibiotics destroy humans immune systems and chickens are probably no different......

anyway just a thought to consider in this drug fogged big pharma world......

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I agree with you. If I ever had a chicken with a respiratory disease, I'd cull it because it would spread to my other chickens and they would be carriers. I would never be able to introduce new birds neither, I'd have to maintain a closed flock. I'd never be able to sell nor give away chickens nor sell hatching eggs because some respiratory diseases are passed through the eggs. Some respiratory diseases are viral and antibiotics are useless.
    Unlike chickens, I see more good in antibiotics for use in humans if not over-prescribed and only used when absolutely necessary.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:As RedRoosterFarm stated, I recommend denagard as well. Type "denagard" in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by