chronic respiratory issue getting bad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmerfran, Aug 17, 2010.

1. farmerfran

farmerfran Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    I have a buff orpinton hen , Sweetie, that is almost a year old. She has had a cough/sneeze thing for a number of months now, maybe even 6. I took her to an avian vet 2 months ago with a serious prolapse. We were able to get her better from that and while there I asked about her sneezing and the vet gave her a script of doxycycline 100. She took 1/2 tablets for 10 days. But he said he did not think she had any serious respiratory issue. In the last couple of weeks, she has started to go to roost much earlier than the other hens. It seems that every other day she looks pale, but then bounces back. Last night, I noticed she was running from her vent...there was a clear mucusy looking fluid starting to run down her backside feathers. This am, her bottom is messed up with runny poo and her vent is starting to look as if it may try to prolapse again. As far as her respiration, she was seeming very labored and would raise her neck high for air and would make a terrible screechy noise. I have tried my best to keep them natural, but am willing to give meds if it will make her better. Does anyone have any idea what this could be. None of my others have had this problem, so I know it is not a contagious thing. What is the gereral feeling about the strong antibiotics?? I am right now going to bathe her and clean her up. I am going to apply some lubricant to her bottom to hopefully stave off a prolapse and then keep a close eye on her. Should I try some vinegar and maybe some vitamins?? Her poop is runny, but the typical gray brown with white mixed in. Sorry so long!!!! PLease help if you can!!

2. farmerfran

Aug 16, 2010
    Today she is doing much better. I cleaned her up yesterday and gave her a dropper of vitamins. Her vent is fine and I do not think she will prolapse as I was concerned about. Her breathing sounded better although it is always a little rumbly. This hen has me so confussed!! I just want her to be healthy!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Try giving her some Tylan 50 injections under the skin. You can find it at TSC or some feed stores, it is a cattle medication. 1/2 cc 2x daily for a grown chicken. Often helps with respiratory issues. if you can get a RX from your vet for Baytril, that is even better... Best Wishes

4. farmerfran

Aug 16, 2010
    Are these meds the only thing that will get her better? I have an injestable antibiotic, but I guess the injectable are stronger??

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I think those work the quickest. You can try Amoxicillian and other antibiotics, but Tylan is geared specifically for respiratory infections.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Depending on what she has, Tylan may alleviate the symptoms (if she has a bacterial infection and not a virus), but just be advised that if she actually has some variety of Chronic Respiratory Disease/ mycoplasmosis, she may remain a carrier.

I have one Buff Orp hen who has extra trouble in the extreme heat and humidity and as she breathes open mouthed, seems to sort of make a honk/scraping sound, like her throat is parched. Your description sounded close to that. How hot is it where you are?

7. farmerfran

Aug 16, 2010
    It has been in the 90's, but we've had on and off rain and lots of humidity. Im in upstate SC. She is certainly worse in the heat, but I had noticed her really struggling when she goes to roost at night. It was @ 12 midnight when she really sounded bad and the reason I sought advise.
    Would she carry a virus this long? It has been months. I am looking up the types of respiratory problems to see if I can get a better idea. If she is a carrier of something, does that mean she would only pass it on to her offspring or could she pass it to any in the flock? B/c none of my others have ever acted this way or shown any similar problem.
    With the avian vet showing no cencern over the problem, I felt sure it was not one of the big bad nasty things...was that a mistake on my part?

8. speckledhen

If she is a carrier of something, does that mean she would only pass it on to her offspring or could she pass it to any in the flock?

Depends on what it is. CRD/Mycoplasmosis can be passed through the egg to the chick, but honestly, I can't recall if they have to be actively sick when the egg is laid or if it's just like Russian Roulette, whether it gets passed on or not. Yes, if she has that, she can infect the flock, but I'm not convinced that she has something like that. My hen has such a hard time in high humidity. Ours is between 90-100% every morning and lowers slowly throughout the day if we're lucky.​

9. farmerfran

Aug 16, 2010
    After reading thru the descriptions of the respiratory things, her symptoms sound most like laryngotracheitis or CRD??? But, I have never seen her expell anything like they describe for Laryn. As for CRD (indicated by retarded growth), she is the smallest of my older girls, but Ive never noticed a wet nose. They make them all sound so dramatic.!!??!!

10. speckledhen

Doubt it's ILT, not from the symptoms. If there are no discharges from nose or eyes, it's probably not CRD, but of course, on the net, not seeing/hearing her, it's hard to say what's going on. And I'm not an avian vet. Reading about diseases can freak you out, I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by