chronic watery stool - any hope?

cream puff

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
I have a silkie that since I got her has never really had a solid poo. She drinks all the time, and her butt is mucky. I've treated for vent gleet but it never got better, she has prolapsed vent as well, but otherwise she is normal, consistent egg layer. I have no idea what else to do for her, she has very healthy diet I put vitamins in the water and probiotics but her stool is still mostly water. I was going to breed her because she's my only partridge silkie, but there's no way I would now that she seems to have this chronic problem. However she isn't passing it on to the other chickens, they are all fine, healthy solid stool no gleet...

Should I cull her? I'd have to put her down since I wouldn't sell her or give her away in her condition. Poor thing.

How long has she had a prolapsed vent, and does it go back in after she lays? I would keep her vent area trimmed of excess feathers to lessen risk of them being soiled. I would worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml given orally, and repeat it in 10 days. And I would give her a 5 day treatment of Corid (amprollium,) just in case she has an underlying case of coccidiosis. Is there a local vet who could run a fecal float for you? All chickens have a little coccidia, but a fecal test would tell if she has an overload of coccidia or what type of worms she has. Are your probiotics from a supplement such as Probios or Gro2max, or from food? Dairy products are not digested well in chickens.

I'm going to try colloidal silver, I forgot that I had used it on a chicken who had an eye infection and it cleared up within the day. I've tried everything else, I've searched the symptoms exhaustively and this is my last ditch effort to save her. She's so beautiful in her stupid chicken way, and there's nothing to loose. I'll let you know if it worked.

How long has she had a prolapsed vent, and does it go back in after she lays? I would keep her vent area trimmed of excess feathers to lessen risk of them being soiled. I would worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml given orally, and repeat it in 10 days. And I would give her a 5 day treatment of Corid (amprollium,) just in case she has an underlying case of coccidiosis. Is there a local vet who could run a fecal float for you? All chickens have a little coccidia, but a fecal test would tell if she has an overload of coccidia or what type of worms she has. Are your probiotics from a supplement such as Probios or Gro2max, or from food? Dairy products are not digested well in chickens.
Completely agree with everything she said/

she died, I found her in the coop unable to stand and panting. I reckon the barnyard mutts are much healthier than the pure breeds.

Back
Top Bottom