Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

People used to look at you askance if you admitted to liking and 🤯 actually eating chicken skin! Oh the humanity! Horrors! :lau I used to sneak-eat mine when no one was looking.

DH and I are on a low-carb diet. We're supposed to eat the skin because we have to have enough fat to not feel hungry.

It's not a diet for everyone, but it works for us. His A1C is much improved and I've lost 75lbs.

Just wanted to share my first Slaughter Cone or Killing Cone. made it 10 times easier.. and only cost me the price of 4 roofing screws to hold it in place
IMG_5848.JPG

Just wanted to share my first Slaughter Cone or Killing Cone. made it 10 times easier.. and only cost me the price of 4 roofing screws to hold it in place
View attachment 2279889
I used gallon water jugs when I did it.

Good job reusing something others would consider trash. I like when people think outside of the box.

I have a few of those stored away because I find them handy due to size. I use another for collecting used cooking oil. But since I stopped deep frying food I may never add to it again. Someone else on here said she used those for making cones and I figured maybe I should give it a try. I will not buy a cone because I feel for what they are they are over priced and I could eventually find something better. I tried a gallon jug once but the bird didn't fit. this is the perfect size because once the bottom of the container was removed the walls got nice and flimsy and could be shaped into a large circle if needed to fit CX and maybe Turkeys.

I have a few of those stored away because I find them handy due to size. I use another for collecting used cooking oil. But since I stopped deep frying food I may never add to it again. Someone else on here said she used those for making cones and I figured maybe I should give it a try. I will not buy a cone because I feel for what they are they are over priced and I could eventually find something better. I tried a gallon jug once but the bird didn't fit. this is the perfect size because once the bottom of the container was removed the walls got nice and flimsy and could be shaped into a large circle if needed to fit CX and maybe Turkeys.
My breast meat on the cornish rock yesterday was 2.5 lbs... it was a 6 lbs bird. Each breast weighed over a lb! So insane!

Back
Top Bottom