Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
The links should be fixed. I'm not sure why they were broken, they appeared to be formatted wrong within the post. But if other posts have broken links which were working before the upgrade, let me know.

The links should be fixed. I'm not sure why they were broken, they appeared to be formatted wrong within the post. But if other posts have broken links which were working before the upgrade, let me know.
I feel like I checked them out before, but, maybe I didn't. Perhaps they were never working? :oops:

On another EXCITING note.... check out the Karakachan pups! The breeder said she is pretty certain there are two within this group that fit what I am looking for, but we will wait another couple of weeks to be certain.

they’re already getting exposed to poultry and doing great. :wee

7D86C1F2-728F-41E0-8FA4-7404359B3438.jpeg

C3C8A90A-14F8-4D75-9875-98E3DED2E6D4.jpeg

the wait to know if one of these is mine is so hard, I wanna just say GIMME but I know waiting for the right one to be chosen for me and our situation is the best path forward.....:fl

jolenesdad I have a question for you. How do you tell birds apart for your charts. I had a hard time with the Fry Pans since I had so many that looked alike. Do you mark them or use bands? Toying with a few different ideas to make my record keeping this year better than last year.
I use food coloring. It lasts through each molt. So if you do a chick, it lasts till the down is gone. Then I replace it each molt so at 6 and 10-12 weeks. After 12 weeks it will last for a long time unless it’s somewhere they can preen the feathers.

I use food coloring. It lasts through each molt. So if you do a chick, it lasts till the down is gone. Then I replace it each molt so at 6 and 10-12 weeks. After 12 weeks it will last for a long time unless it’s somewhere they can preen the feathers.
I never would have thought of food coloring lol. I got some little chick bands to start with but want to be able to tell each hatch apart so I can get accurage ages to go with weights and other characteristics. Food coloring would probably be perfect.

I never would have thought of food coloring lol. I got some little chick bands to start with but want to be able to tell each hatch apart so I can get accurage ages to go with weights and other characteristics. Food coloring would probably be perfect.
wing bands are also an option. its a little metal "tag" that stays with them for life. we started using them last year. I like to band them at 2-3 weeks, although sometimes I forget when they were hatched by then because we are hatching every week

Back
Top Bottom