Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

jolenesdad

Free Ranging
Premium member
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
Lost a Imperial to a hawk today. I wasn’t home to see what kind it was. I’ve got a red shoulder hawk that hangs out all the time around the chickens so I doubt it was that. The red tails don’t leave as many feathers they usually take off with them so I’m thinking Cooper’s hawk. I’m thinking northern migration is starting. You can see the fairy ring layout of the feathers in a circle

since I take these for usda processing I never get photos of the feathers but thought it was interesting to note the white underfluff of these birds that must be what helps them have such clean carcasses when processed.

72437AB5-1829-4177-BBF5-73D353332E72.jpeg

E6C08FC5-5D6F-4232-92E1-B8821AC5CBD1.jpeg

LilyD

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
Lost a Imperial to a hawk today. I wasn’t home to see what kind it was. I’ve got a red shoulder hawk that hangs out all the time around the chickens so I doubt it was that. The red tails don’t leave as many feathers they usually take off with them so I’m thinking Cooper’s hawk. I’m thinking northern migration is starting. You can see the fairy ring layout of the feathers in a circle

since I take these for usda processing I never get photos of the feathers but thought it was interesting to note the white underfluff of these birds that must be what helps them have such clean carcasses when processed.

View attachment 2027272

View attachment 2027274
Oh no that's not good hopefully he is full now and moves on soon.

jolenesdad

Free Ranging
Premium member
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
I'm sorry about losing the Imperial. It's hard to imagine a hawk carrying off such a large chicken.
Right now they’re about 4.5 lbs I’d guess I need to weigh them tomorrow.

flock dynamics are so interesting. These birds are the most active free rangers I’ve raised out of all the birds this year, notably different than even the last batch. They’re no different than a group of 7-8 week old heritage birds with their desire to be out and about. I’m actually fairly shocked with so many of them out in the open pretty much all the time that I haven’t had more losses.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
i just cooked a 5 lb frozen bird in the instant pot. FROZEN! It was delicious.

OMG @aart you’ve been talking pressure cooking forever I should have listened then.

no muss. No fuss. Delicious. I’m already making a broth that I’ll also have finished tonight. Bam!

:drool
I wouldn't know how to use an 'instant pot'...all those buttons scare me.
...and I always thaw first.
but glad you've been successful and are 'fat/dumb/happy' (lingo for for too full of good food.)

Molpet

Crossing the Road
Premium member
Sep 7, 2015
New Lenox township. Illinois USA
My Coop
My Coop
I wouldn't know how to use an 'instant pot'...all those buttons scare me.
...and I always thaw first.
but glad you've been successful and are 'fat/dumb/happy' (lingo for for too full of good food.)
I put frozen parts in with water, push poultry (default is 20 minutes), make sure the release is on pressure...walk away... After it times out I wait at least 10 minutes before releasing pressure... usually I come back hours later and it's on warm and steam all released

Morrigan

Free Ranging
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
N. California
What else do you add to the pressure canner/instant pot when you are making your chicken dinner?

My husband, who cooks almost all the meat in the house, is anti instant pot. He thinks it's kinda of gimmicky -- maybe it is all those buttons. We do have an old fashioned pressure cooker, though. I'd like to try chicken and dumplings with an older hen this year. I'm thinking that might be a good candidate for the pressure cooker. Either that, or I might sneak off and buy an instant pot when my husbands not looking.

Top Bottom