Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
We have 4 dogs and a cat. The cat loves chicken. anytime my family is eating chicken he will tap them with his paw so that he can get a piece. So I'm hoping to make him ground chicken to eat, but I don't want to use store-bought chicken because I don't really know where it came from.

My dogs absolutely love chicken and eggs so it's nice to be able to give that to them.
I fed my cats raw for quite a while until the meat was just taking up too much time and fridge space. My cats had no issue with eating raw bone in chicken as kittens. One of the more disturbing days was the day I saw my cute little fluffball growling at her siblings while crunching through a chicken femur. She was barely bigger than the chicken leg she was eating at that point.

No real need to grind unless you really want to, and the bones are good for them as long as they are not cooked.

I know it cost a lot to feed meat chickens and that it would probably cost less to just buy it in the grocery store, but I think I would feel more satisfied with filling our freezer with our chickens.
I can't remember the numbers offhand right now, but when I picked up some Cornish X for $1/each when they were about 3 weeks old, I remember doing the math and working out that they would be costing me just less than store-bought, and was happy with that. So it's not a ton more than store chicken. Plus, account for the fact that store chicken is ~10% water/brine, so it's not a 1:1 comparison.

I can't remember the numbers offhand right now, but when I picked up some Cornish X for $1/each when they were about 3 weeks old, I remember doing the math and working out that they would be costing me just less than store-bought, and was happy with that. So it's not a ton more than store chicken. Plus, account for the fact that store chicken is ~10% water/brine, so it's not a 1:1 comparison.
Store chicken has a lot of sodium too. We limit our salt intake in this house because there is such a thing as too much salt.

Broth kills me when I look at the sodium. I get the sodium free kind and add herbs to make it seem salty.
Our stores are very unreliable with stocking of it. I can usually (but not always) find sodium free beef broth, but rarely ever chicken. I save the backs and necks when I butcher and vacuum seal them together in bags, and use those to make stock then freeze in portions. I don't have the energy to butcher birds and make stock in the same day/weekend usually.

Our stores are very unreliable with stocking of it. I can usually (but not always) find sodium free beef broth, but rarely ever chicken. I save the backs and necks when I butcher and vacuum seal them together in bags, and use those to make stock then freeze in portions. I don't have the energy to butcher birds and make stock in the same day/weekend usually.
I save my veggie scraps in the freezer and make veggie broth with it. I want to can it once I figure out the whole canning process.

I want to do chicken bone broth once we butcher chickens. It's good for the dogs and my family.

I save my veggie scraps in the freezer and make veggie broth with it. I want to can it once I figure out the whole canning process.

I want to do chicken bone broth once we butcher chickens. It's good for the dogs and my family.
canning is not hard, just time consuming
can't use a instapot

Back
Top Bottom