Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I have 33 Moyers Imperials out in my Aframe tractor with feed 24/7. Roughly 5 weeks now. I’ll post back at about 9 weeks to see what they dress out at. I would not be happy with 2.5lbs at 9 weeks.
I am comparing that to leghorns and orpingtons, so I gues it matters a lot what your frame of reference is! I am certainly going to try some of these!

I really do not think 2.5 pounds at 9 weeks is a bad thing at all. I have eaten smaller chickens that were twice as old. Right around 3 pounds is just perfect to me. Getting there in 10-12 weeks would be just fine, with nice healthy birds, too.
Not complaining. Just stating I missed the target weight. We learn by sharing. The layers butchered at 1 year old are weighing at 2.5# carcass weights. These are the Barnyard Surprises from hatchery stock. Rooster is a mix and the mothers are Australorp or Production Blacks. I'm guessing production blacks because of the reproductive problems we are seeing at 1 year.

The 5 broilers butchered this week went north with DD#2. Just reporting the facts. Just the facts. They are eating healthy and I was happy to send it with her. Graduates in the fall. :)

The breasts are larger and fuller than Barnyard Surprises and so are the legs. Good form. Just a little smaller. Again, no complaints, just stating the facts.

Not complaining. Just stating I missed the target weight. We learn by sharing. The layers butchered at 1 year old are weighing at 2.5# carcass weights. These are the Barnyard Surprises from hatchery stock. Rooster is a mix and the mothers are Australorp or Production Blacks. I'm guessing production blacks because of the reproductive problems we are seeing at 1 year.

The 5 broilers butchered this week went north with DD#2. Just reporting the facts. Just the facts. They are eating healthy and I was happy to send it with her. Graduates in the fall. :)

The breasts are larger and fuller than Barnyard Surprises and so are the legs. Good form. Just a little smaller. Again, no complaints, just stating the facts.
I agree, the layers are supposed to be small. I really like hearing your results, these are new meat breeds to me and I want to try some this fall. I would like to raise them even if I got your results that you would like to improve upon. We all come here to learn from each other. It would be interesting to hear how your daughter likes them. My only experience with meat birds is with 1980's era Cornish-X from Murray McMurray, so all of your experience is great to hear! Mostly we just ate the leghorn cockerels, ~ 2 pounds (or less). What I like about these that you did was that they were only 9 weeks old, so no crowing or annoying rooster behavior!

:gig I wish you luck. My layers can sniff out a sunflower seed at 100 paces.
minute I step out

I do recall there being a pretty big size differential between the cockerels and pullets.
Same here, except it is the rustling noise of those zip sandwich baggies. I reuse them from school lunches to hold daily scraps and whatever popcorn kernels that don't pop. Every day my birds come running or flying to me across the bird yard and wait to hear the little bag. If I toss some scratch down, which I usually do so I can get through the gate unmolested, they go after it but keep an eye and ear trained on me for the rustle of it coming out of my pocket. Once they hear it...Game Over! I get completely mobbed.

I can’t wait to see the weights of mine tomorrow. They have big breasts on them. Chicken prices have increased here and so hasn’t hamburger.

Hi folks! :frow

Quick report on the Cackle Bielefelder I'm working with.

Due to time being more valuable than gold to me :oops:, I did NOT get live weights and decided that dressed weight would be enough information still worth contributing. A quick reminder they were early Feb hatch, raised under heat lamp, and pasture free ranged.. with 20% protein Purina Flock raiser... very limited dried meal worm treats. Location, cal/or border on the coast... very mild climate, temperate rain forest. So no excess heat or cold to speak of throughout the growing cycle. Lucky birds!

Now the selection process hasn't been as detailed as I would like due to personal time constraints but it is what it is and I'm rolling with it best I can to still fully enjoy this hobby (with benefits).. noting feeding my family is just a bonus to maintaining/sustaining my mental and physical health.

So my less than desirable collection method.. kept all locked up and went in and grabbed for the smallest LOOKING 4 out of 7 boys.. tightest saddles and narrowest heads. Now on those 4 I did feel their chest and vent girth from the top of the back to see if I could feel differences and honestly they were so close. These were truly difficult selections as there weren't many clear winners or losers... no deal breakers right off the bat as there have been with most other breeds I've worked with.. I feel as though this may be partly due to lack of experience with the specific breed but also due to very limited Standards of Perfection writings and photos. Main easy difference is feather pattern... but my understanding is that be the LEAST of my concerns to select for. Actually come to think of it... there seems to be a HUGE variation in skin color with some of the gals looking green legged early on. :confused: One other thing I'm noticing is subtle differences in comb structure, which I know can be indicators of certain things and so I'm looking for those minuscule differences.. in fact, no more messing around.. I will color band the remaining boys this evening so I can start keeping track and make my best possible selections going forward. Oh, and I'm excited to try these colorful velcro cable tie :thumbsup

In the end... I was at 16 weeks + 3 days old Bielefelder. After the horrendous amount of time spent plucking pin feathers from the first 2 cockerels (3 hours to finish), I decided to hold off and try other processing ages... which I WILL report back here. Aiming for next Tuesday at 18 weeks.

My final dressed weight a very respectable (in my experience thus far) 3# 5 oz and 3# 7 oz.

My skill is getting honed.. I was able to cut through joints leaving nicely rounded bones instead of jagged edges hacked by a cleaver or broken. I also didn't pop any bile sacks or cut into any intestines or get any crop contents dripping.

The skin was odd.. sort of white and yellow in places instead of solid color. Shanks were yellow. Most the pin feathers left behind were black ones. Cleaning the carcass proved a tedious task with my slight ocd.. but I'm not gonna lie.. it was a bit cathartic for a "picker" :lol:.. as gross as it was.. like popping little black pimples.. sometimes a whole fat gland or something came out also! :sick Regarding actual fat, these boys had virtually none at this age. Organs looked fantastic, though I haven't yet learned how to use those. My Mother in Love cooked hers and reported to be delicious but she would never tell me if it were dog meat. We should be cooking our first one soon. Will share details then. :drool

Regarding skin.. can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? It seems like it dries out while I'm working on the bird.. Sometimes I even see a little peeling.. should I peel it, give it a micro derm abrasion treatment, not worry it'll dissipate when I wrap for wresting, what?? TIA

I know, I'm most often an over detailed and lengthy poster. This will be no exception. Now if I can only remember what I still wanted to share! :rolleyes:

Oh ya.. it was regarding the Bielefelder behavior. This is a completely new flock experience as I've always had older birds before but recently sold off all but this group. So there were no older yet lowest pecking order ladies for the males to target for gang style mating, like the scenario I created before... So there haven't been much in term of mating antics this far... the longest delay I've seen. There are currently 5 boys and 4 girls left and kept together. Due to previous challenges I have kept a stag pen in the past but not felt the need to yet. I will love this breed all the more IF I can raise the grow outs without keeping a stag pen since extra pens is extra work and extra space to me.

I was hoping to add lavender Wyandottes (and black splits) as a second breed to work with since the past GLW oops boys were fantastic for meat and I KNOW I could sell chicks hand over fist. Keeping just two breeds would be a walk in the park compared to previous exhausting adventures! GFF has asked if I was interested in a substitute breed since hatch rate isn't cooperating to meet their orders... I don't think I am.. but I agreed to either wait until next season or accept Lamona as a first choice supplement (huge price + difference) or as last choice gold duckwing (looks like salmon essentially to me) Sulmtaler.. feeling as though whatever is meant to happen will.. I have already been surprised by things I never cared for or wanted that have become huge joy factors in my life.. Also had many things I planned and worked hard for turn out the results weren't all they were cracked up to be! :p

Oh, so one last question... how do you feel about letting the majority of the gals choose the keeper? Do they know something I don't? I figure it's only one factor to consider.

One last thought.. yes they are crowing, but that isn't much issue here and it isn't excessive by any means. These boys have minor squabbles and chases but so mellow compared to other breeds I've raised. No obvious sign of eggs yet at 17 weeks and no mounting to speak of. Surprisingly, only a couple hit up the feeder first thing when I let them out in the morning.. though it does seem to vary. They're eating plenty though I don't keep track of consumption. The seem like curious and active foragers more than lazy slouches (at least at this age). And oh my word, are they ever getting beautiful! :)

In the end... I was at 16 weeks + 3 days old Bielefelder. After the horrendous amount of time spent plucking pin feathers from the first 2 cockerels (3 hours to finish), I decided to hold off and try other processing ages... which I WILL report back here. Aiming for next Tuesday at 18 weeks.

My final dressed weight a very respectable (in my experience thus far) 3# 5 oz and 3# 7 oz.
Congratulations and condolences on the pin feathers. At some point, I surrender and skin.

My skill is getting honed.. I was able to cut through joints leaving nicely rounded bones instead of jagged edges hacked by a cleaver or broken. I also didn't pop any bile sacks or cut into any intestines or get any crop contents dripping.
This is practice. Rounded joints are good and not getting juices everywhere is desirable. Good on you Mate!

Regarding skin.. can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? It seems like it dries out while I'm working on the bird.. Sometimes I even see a little peeling.. should I peel it, give it a micro derm abrasion treatment, not worry it'll dissipate when I wrap for wresting, what?? TIA
Sounds normal. Did you scald the birds before plucking? The outer epidermis will peal off the feet and the carcass. Same as grocery store birds. Yes, I've scrubbed it off. No difference either way. I don't worry with it anymore.

Oh, so one last question... how do you feel about letting the majority of the gals choose the keeper? Do they know something I don't? I figure it's only one factor to consider.

One last thought.. yes they are crowing, but that isn't much issue here and it isn't excessive by any means. These boys have minor squabbles and chases but so mellow compared to other breeds I've raised. No obvious sign of eggs yet at 17 weeks and no mounting to speak of. Surprisingly, only a couple hit up the feeder first thing when I let them out in the morning.. though it does seem to vary. They're eating plenty though I don't keep track of consumption. The seem like curious and active foragers more than lazy slouches (at least at this age). And oh my word, are they ever getting beautiful! :)
I'm in a no crow zone, so the cockerels here get relocated to the freezer after a week of crowing. No complaints so far! Yes, it is time to move. Just haven't got my stuff together.

Thanks for the detailed report @EggSighted4Life. I've heard lots of good things about Bielefelders.

Sounds normal. Did you scald the birds before plucking? The outer epidermis will peal off the feet and the carcass. Same as grocery store birds. Yes, I've scrubbed it off. No difference either way. I don't worry with it anymore.

Ditto that. I don't worry about it either. You don't notice it at all, once the meat is cooked.

We ate one of the the NN/SWB cockerels last night. Brined and roasted. It made the best gravy. DH and I had a drumstick and a wing each. Very meaty and very good flavor. A bit chewy but not in a bad way. The only slight drawback, was that for dark meat, it was pretty lean. It didn't have the subcutaneous fat that makes the skin so crispy and decadent. It was probably healthier for us, so maybe I shouldn't count that as a drawback, lol. We are going to do something with the breast meat for dinner tonight. The other 3 cockerels are in the freezer. Two whole, and the largest of them parted out.
IMG_2825.JPG

how do you feel about letting the majority of the gals choose the keeper? Do they know something I don't? I figure it's only one factor to consider.

If they show a decided preference, I would definitely factor that in. It wouldn't override size, or human aggression issues for me, tho. My problem is that I've always had trouble figuring out which one my ladies prefer. Seems like no one has much use for cockerels once they get hormonal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom