Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Okay, thank you. So would a strong cut from one side of the bottom jaw to the other side work? Or is that impossible? Usually we shoot them, but my dad had decided he'd not going to butcher for us anymore, which I don't blame him for

And it's not necessarily that they're annoying, one is a sweetheart but not marked well enough to be worth keeping. At least they're meant for meat so I can still use them for myself. I don't eat soup or stew so I don't stew birds. Usually they end up as bait unfortunately

Okay, thank you. So would a strong cut from one side of the bottom jaw to the other side work? Or is that impossible? Usually we shoot them, but my dad had decided he'd not going to butcher for us anymore, which I don't blame him for

And it's not necessarily that they're annoying, one is a sweetheart but not marked well enough to be worth keeping. At least they're meant for meat so I can still use them for myself. I don't eat soup or stew so I don't stew birds. Usually they end up as bait unfortunately
I never did shoot one! They are little and I don't trust my aim that much. ;) Bait is doing a job. To answer your question, one cut across the lower neck is fine if it is bleeding good.
If they are small and young, I split them in half and BBQ them. :drool One per person if very small, cut the back bone out with poultry shears and spread them open & cook over a slow fire. You might quit using them for bait!

I never did shoot one! They are little and I don't trust my aim that much. ;) Bait is doing a job. To answer your question, one cut across the lower neck is fine if it is bleeding good.
If they are small and young, I split them in half and BBQ them. :drool One per person if very small, cut the back bone out with poultry shears and spread them open & cook over a slow fire. You might quit using them for bait!

My dad uses a little pistol and puts a food pile out a few yards so they're still rather close.

Usually they're scrawny cockrels that should have been butchered months ago. Never really have anything on them worth prepping.
I used to have dogs, such birds went into the pressure cooker, then added rice and left-overs for free dog food. Dogs thought they died & went to heaven. Pressure cooked young birds (leghorns) got eaten, bones and all. Some feed raw, I never did.

Those sound small, Must be processing early. The more I raise meat birds the more I realized that processing early is better. Saves so much on feed and I just do not need a record breaking heavy bird. I just need a little meat here and there to be healthy.
Last time I did CX I was all about the meat! Feeding a teenager here so was very happy with 6.5 to 8.5lb dressed birds. I paid for the processing too, about $2.00 per bird, but found I could get a 7.5 lb dressed bird for only $10 all in all. Given the teenager's bottomless stomach that was really good.

If my new trials with the Red Rangers mixed with my flock birds can get me towards the 5lb mark, I will be happy. While I won't have the cost of the processing now (and I totally think the $2.00 per bird was well worth it!) I'm still feeding a teenager.

Back
Top Bottom