Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Oh nice! Thanks. Just curious, what's the beak treatment they offer? I'm assuming it's debeaking since I've never seen it before on their layers
That is what I would think, too. I have never done any of that. One thing that puts me off is the Marek’s disease vaccination. It makes me think that they have a problem with Marek’s disease at the hatchery or the farms feeding the hatchery. I would hate to bring it here when I have no problem with it.

I've gotten birds from them with other people and none of us had a problem, at least we didn't a few years ago when we ordered. Of course, I'm getting all my chicks to be vaccinated now that I know what a big deal mareks is.

I might get some of these males next spring. Do you know if they can be added to a normal chick order or do you make meat bird orders seperate?

I've gotten birds from them with other people and none of us had a problem, at least we didn't a few years ago when we ordered. Of course, I'm getting all my chicks to be vaccinated now that I know what a big deal mareks is.

I might get some of these males next spring. Do you know if they can be added to a normal chick order or do you make meat bird orders seperate?
Lots of people raise a few meat birds with their layers. These seem especially well suited for that. I have raised the standard Cornish-X broilers from Murray McMurray in the past, but since those are not recommended for my mile-high altitude I am very interested in these. If I were ordering them, I would probably get 10 and fill the box with 10 of their layers, unless I found someone local who wanted to split a box.

Okay, thanks. I know we don't have room for 20 of these things in my freezer. Do the hens self destruct too, or if I decide not to butcher one will they be fine?
I think they be fine. @jolenesdad is talking about one he kept back from last year. She is in with his egg layers. Butcher at will.

I took mine to the freezer at 15 weeks for the last set.

Ugh missed notifications again I’ll catch up later today.

popped in to say one of my imperials has gone broody. AT THE HOTTEST WEEK OF THE YEAR SO FAR. WHAT THE HECK?
I have 7 that just went broody... all are part CX... they tend to smash a lot of the eggs before they hatch because they are so big

That is what I would think, too. I have never done any of that. One thing that puts me off is the Marek’s disease vaccination. It makes me think that they have a problem with Marek’s disease at the hatchery or the farms feeding the hatchery. I would hate to bring it here when I have no problem with it.
No they don’t have an in house mareks issue, commercial farms have mareks issues. The absolute most reliable vaccination is in ovo, especially when the chicks that go to commercial farms are brooded inside the houses they will grow in and many previously grew in so they’re exposed to whatever is there at the large farm.

I do know several producers that get non vaccinated birds from Moyers, however, you have to be on a contract that is prepaid since they have to set aside eggs for you that do not get vaccinated in the egg.

I think they hatch something like 300,000 birds a WEEK where obviously an overwhelming majority are going to large commercial producers, so the structure of what they do is built towards them.

most even major pastured poultry egg producers keep the hens overnight in less than a foot per bird hen houses. To have that kind of space, they often get the beak treatment. :-/

I have 7 that just went broody... all are part CX... they tend to smash a lot of the eggs before they hatch because they are so big
Yeah if she gets in an egg box with eggs from my leghorn or other production birds that have slightly thinner shells she busts them.

I think I may grab two chicks and give them to her and see if she takes them and if not I’ll break her. She is too big to sit in that box all day right now. If I can’t find chicks today I’m just breaking her cause we have a 112 heat index today and through the weekend. :-/

Back
Top Bottom