Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I understand those points for sure. But, you still have dead unvaccinated birds and living vaccinated birds.

this shedding issue only applies to the MOST virulent strains of Mareks. I’m not trying to say whether someone should or should not vaccinate, but rather what the vaccine does or doesn’t do.

IF you have a very virulent strain, chicks are dead immediately before the virus can replicate and spread. Vaccinated birds are able to live and shed this virulent strain into their environment. In this situation a virulent strain can live on where it *may* have not with quick deaths to those affected.

IF you have one of the more common forms, non vaccinated birds will not succumb until they are also shedding the virus. In this scenario non vaccinated birds help to spread the virus through your flock at a greater rate than they do with a virulent strain. However the vaccination is shown to reduce the shedding potential of an infected bird with on of the less virulent strains.

I have yet to see a single study on breeding resistant birds which is why I’m personally skeptical it’s possible in backyard or breeder flocks. I have seen multiple studies that say they think they have identified a potential gene for mareks immunity but no way to isolate that for breeding.

I understand those points for sure. But, you still have dead unvaccinated birds and living vaccinated birds.

this shedding issue only applies to the MOST virulent strains of Mareks. I’m not trying to say whether someone should or should not vaccinate, but rather what the vaccine does or doesn’t do.

IF you have a very virulent strain, chicks are dead immediately before the virus can replicate and spread. Vaccinated birds are able to live and shed this virulent strain into their environment. In this situation a virulent strain can live on where it *may* have not with quick deaths to those affected.

IF you have one of the more common forms, non vaccinated birds will not succumb until they are also shedding the virus. In this scenario non vaccinated birds help to spread the virus through your flock at a greater rate than they do with a virulent strain. However the vaccination is shown to reduce the shedding potential of an infected bird with on of the less virulent strains.

I have yet to see a single study on breeding resistant birds which is why I’m personally skeptical it’s possible in backyard or breeder flocks. I have seen multiple studies that say they think they have identified a potential gene for mareks immunity but no way to isolate that for breeding.
If I had it I would get vaccinated birds
If I didn't have it I would never get vaccinated birds. I mainly hatch my flocks eggs and I don't think that would work with it in the flock.
All should be vaccinated or none

What's in the meat of birds that are vaccinated and/or carriers?

Assuming you are speaking of Marek's and they are not growning the lesions, best I can tell mainly fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Some calories, and compounds like anserine, glycine, carnosine, and creatine. Probably a few other things. The same as meat from chickens that are not vaccinated and or not carriers.

Last edited:
Assuming you are speaking of Marek's and they are not growning the lesions, best I can tell mainly fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Some calories, and compounds like anserine, glycine, carnosine, and creatine. Probably a few other things. The same as meat from chickens that are not vaccinated and or not carriers.
:smack:gig
So no concerns about Mareks and humans eating it?

:smack:gig
So no concerns about Mareks and humans eating it?
Not as far as I'm concerned but use common sense. I'd avoid the lesions. If one were exhibiting symptoms I'd not eat it. But if one were not exhibiting symptoms I don't see why not. But then I'd eat wild game like squirrel, rabbit, game birds, or deer and who knows what shape they are in.

Last edited:
If I had it I would get vaccinated birds
If I didn't have it I would never get vaccinated birds. I mainly hatch my flocks eggs and I don't think that would work with it in the flock.
All should be vaccinated or none
This was what I was trying to learn. Very interesting answers, thanks everyone for giving me a better understanding of this situation!

I agree, it's an interesting discussion. When I've purchased chicks where I had the option of getting a Marek's vaccination, I've always opted for it. I really can't say why, except it was cheap, and I thought, "why not?" I still have a handful of these hatchery birds bouncing over my property. But, when I hatch, either from my flock or shipped eggs, I never even gave Mareks a second thought.

Yeah if she gets in an egg box with eggs from my leghorn or other production birds that have slightly thinner shells she busts them.

I think I may grab two chicks and give them to her and see if she takes them and if not I’ll break her. She is too big to sit in that box all day right now. If I can’t find chicks today I’m just breaking her cause we have a 112 heat index today and through the weekend. :-/
I saw Texas was going to hit some records this weekend for heat. Stay safe this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom