Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

https://www.thegoodshepherdinstitute.org/

The Good Shepherd Institute is an educational hub for breeding poultry, training farmers, chefs, and students, partnering with institutions, and engaging the public. It serves as a model for system-wide agricultural and ecological innovation, and is dedicated to ensuring the long-term viability of the poultry industry.

In case anyone is wondering.

Sucks that the link is dead.

Just finished processing 22 cx. Some much bigger than others. We started as soon as I got home from work and managed to go from set up to clean up in about 3 and 1/2 hours. We used the plucker and both Big pots. I was pleased to see that we managed 22 birds in the same time as we usually get 7 to 10 done when we pluck by hand.
We will weigh them tomorrow but they looked Good!

Just finished processing 22 cx. Some much bigger than others. We started as soon as I got home from work and managed to go from set up to clean up in about 3 and 1/2 hours. We used the plucker and both Big pots. I was pleased to see that we managed 22 birds in the same time as we usually get 7 to 10 done when we pluck by hand.
We will weigh them tomorrow but they looked Good!
sounds like good news! Now its my turn to process birds... I will be skinning mine because plucking is just too much work and a plucker is too expensive.

Here is a six-week-old Barred Holland, weighed him yesterday @ ~1 1/4 pound, he did not care for the process much!
IMG_4844.JPG

1/2 pound for the bucket. They are easy to sex after about 4 weeks.
IMG_4846.JPG
I don't know how you guys get those photos of your birds standing on a scale, next time I'll have to truss these guys to get them to hold still long enough! The Naked Neck I got from @BlueBaby was ~3 pounds. bare fit in the bucket, but easier to handle than these little roos! Must be the Dorking/Red Ranger side, the other NN Is just as hyper as the little Barred Hollands. Sure it is a cockerel! Not a meat bird in any way, 1/2 the size of its sibling.

Back
Top Bottom