Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

For us the thing that slows us down is waiting for the water to heat.... 150 for scalding but gotta have 200 degree water to make the shrink bags work. And I like to shrink in Clean water so it takes 2 pots of water.... scalding water gets funky quick. Lol
My oldest daughter tried her hand at helping remove innards last night and did very well! I was excited to have a little more help with that part.

For us the thing that slows us down is waiting for the water to heat.... 150 for scalding but gotta have 200 degree water to make the shrink bags work. And I like to shrink in Clean water so it takes 2 pots of water.... scalding water gets funky quick. Lol
My oldest daughter tried her hand at helping remove innards last night and did very well! I was excited to have a little more help with that part.
Small kid hands work great for that job! Good for you getting a helper! Scalding water is the slowest part, I definitely agree with that. But, I think the skin is worth the effort. I like the Cornish-X grown larger and roasted in the oven, better than Turkey.

Small kid hands work great for that job! Good for you getting a helper! Scalding water is the slowest part, I definitely agree with that. But, I think the skin is worth the effort. I like the Cornish-X grown larger and roasted in the oven, better than Turkey.
My Dd has pretty big hands at 17... but we finally found something she was excited to help with! Don't get me wrong she will scald them, run the plucker and help with removing pin feathers but she seems to like the gutting better... weird especially since she refuses to kill em.. lol we will be offering these at farmers market so a 3 to 4 pound carcass seem to be ideal

I'm not a big turkey fan either. I'll eat it, but won't go out of my way for it. The sole cockerel from the last batch of Imperial Broilers has Thanksgiving written on him.

We do like the skin for rotisserie. Still haven't had time to mess with the smoker.

I'm not a big turkey fan either. I'll eat it, but won't go out of my way for it. The sole cockerel from the last batch of Imperial Broilers has Thanksgiving written on him.

We do like the skin for rotisserie. Still haven't had time to mess with the smoker.
I used to have a smoker. I like to use it for the breasts, thin sliced into chicken jerky.

My Dd has pretty big hands at 17... but we finally found something she was excited to help with! Don't get me wrong she will scald them, run the plucker and help with removing pin feathers but she seems to like the gutting better... weird especially since she refuses to kill em.. lol we will be offering these at farmers market so a 3 to 4 pound carcass seem to be ideal
I use a long spoon... works amazing.

I have two boys I’m butchering this weekend. They’re causing too much issues in the flock!

Back
Top Bottom