Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

And less set up time when skinning, no need to set up a scalding station or a plucker.
Exactly why I am contemplating this for the cockerels(layer breeds) that need to go.
I love grilled chicken skin, but they are probably full of pin feathers anyway.
Less clean up time too!

Exactly why I am contemplating this for the cockerels(layer breeds) that need to go.
I love grilled chicken skin, but they are probably full of pin feathers anyway.
Less clean up time too!
Good point. I stew the males mostly anyway. DH doesn't like "chewy." He also doesn't like CX—feels sorry for them. Kind of hard to please not that he complains. 🤷‍♀️ Much. I like him to enjoy the food, though. I guess I'm gonna try grinding. I hadn't considered jerky. Do people grind poultry for jerky mostly?

Good point. I stew the males mostly anyway. DH doesn't like "chewy." He also doesn't like CX—feels sorry for them. Kind of hard to please not that he complains. 🤷‍♀️ Much. I like him to enjoy the food, though. I guess I'm gonna try grinding. I hadn't considered jerky. Do people grind poultry for jerky mostly?
Poultry jerky for human consumption should be cooked before it is dried, a little salmonella will not bother a dog but could make a human sick. Dehydrators just don't get hot enough to kill off the bad bugs on chicken, though you MAY be able to dry it in the oven by cranking the heat up enough to cook and then dropping it back down to finish drying out without burning it.

Poultry jerky for human consumption should be cooked before it is dried, a little salmonella will not bother a dog but could make a human sick. Dehydrators just don't get hot enough to kill off the bad bugs on chicken, though you MAY be able to dry it in the oven by cranking the heat up enough to cook and then dropping it back down to finish drying out without burning it.
I used a smoker, which cooks chicken breast to the done temp of 180. No problem with undercooking. Bone the breast and then slice it thin -- I like it with the grain for a chewier jerky. Across the grain of the breast makes it tenderer, then, pound it thin, like you would with any other tough meat. Marinate in flavor of choice and smoke until done & dry, 2-3 hours depending on thickness.

I used a smoker, which cooks chicken breast to the done temp of 180. No problem with undercooking. Bone the breast and then slice it thin -- I like it with the grain for a chewier jerky. Across the grain of the breast makes it tenderer, then, pound it thin, like you would with any other tough meat. Marinate in flavor of choice and smoke until done & dry, 2-3 hours depending on thickness.
Thanks for the details, I've never dried poultry but I did know you did NOT want to do it raw in a dehydrator the same as you can beef. Wanted to make that clear before someone poisoned themselves by accident.

I grill the young cockerels <16wo...but with no skin<shrugs>might just pressure cook or casserole.
Resting the cleaned carcass a couple-few days will go a long ways to making layer breeds less 'toothsome'.
I always rest them until the joints are loose again. He's used to chicken meat having no texture at all. 🙄 People tend to like what they grew up on, I guess. But I also grew up on super-tender chicken. I dunno. I do put some effort into learning to like new things. He is not interested in that. 😂

Back
Top Bottom