Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I always rest them until the joints are loose again. He's used to chicken meat having no texture at all. 🙄 People tend to like what they grew up on, I guess. But I also grew up on super-tender chicken. I dunno. I do put some effort into learning to like new things. He is not interested in that. 😂
When I grill chicken, I par-boil it first. That helps be sure it is done, and keeps it juicy and tender. With a yard leghorn, I boil about 5-6 minutes. Bring the water to a boil first, drop them in and take them out to drain when the timer goes off. Very quick & easy to do while the BBQ grill heats up.

another benefit of skinning when I am doing Cornish X is that I can just process one at a time when I feel like it when I feel hungry for chicken. The set up and clean up of processing is less than the set up and clean up from cooking meat. People really love the skin and skinning isn't going to be their thing. I know when I have a rotisserie chicken I love the skin but I love less work more than I love skin. When I first processed chickens someone told me I could not skin them, not sure why they told me that, maybe because they love skin so much that they felt skinning was wrong. Now I let people know that skinning is an option and its a very convenient option.

When I grill chicken, I par-boil it first. That helps be sure it is done, and keeps it juicy and tender. With a yard leghorn, I boil about 5-6 minutes. Bring the water to a boil first, drop them in and take them out to drain when the timer goes off. Very quick & easy to do while the BBQ grill heats up.
I never heard of that. Cool! I'm in—next time I grill! So do you season after boiling/before grilling?

another benefit of skinning when I am doing Cornish X is that I can just process one at a time when I feel like it when I feel hungry for chicken. The set up and clean up of processing is less than the set up and clean up from cooking meat. People really love the skin and skinning isn't going to be their thing. I know when I have a rotisserie chicken I love the skin but I love less work more than I love skin. When I first processed chickens someone told me I could not skin them, not sure why they told me that, maybe because they love skin so much that they felt skinning was wrong. Now I let people know that skinning is an option and its a very convenient option.
Of course, you CAN skin them, :lau I just want to eat the skin enough to do the extra work. Quail, shot by a hunter friend, I just bone out the breast meat!

I never heard of that. Cool! I'm in—next time I grill! So do you season after boiling/before grilling?
Yes, pat them semi-dry and sprinkle on your seasoning of choice. Sometimes lemon pepper. Sometimes a cajun mix I like. On the last turn on BBQ, when almost done, baste with a sauce if you like it that way. My old BBQ had a propane burner next to the grill right on the side, best one I ever had, & I miss it. You could boil the water outside.

If you are grilling pieces -- cut up legs & breasts, only 3 min in the boiling water. Same for store Cornish-X, 3 min -- I only do them in pieces, they are too large to do halves or whole split birds like the little chickens. The best size is a little chicken that is under 2 pounds dressed, and young, about 12-14 weeks. Just starting to crow for my Orpingtons I used to have. They taste good to me. Little cockerels like these Barred Hollands, might be having to do them as soon as Leghorns, ~ 10 weeks they were crowing and really annoying!

Back
Top Bottom