Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

All of mine say to cook it first. Really, it's up to you. If it's your bird and you know it was processed cleanly, then I would say go for it if you want, I would be skeptical about doing that with grocery store birds.
Well beef would be the same lol... I don’t see chickens or turkey being any different from beef. You just make sure you dehydrate it enough.

Some of the new dehydrators get that hot, too, I think.
Mine does get hot enough, but cooking it beforehand prolly isn't a bad idea. I was thinking of trying some with ground turkey/chicken/etc. I do have the pink salt (not Himalayan—preserving) and a jerky gun I've yet to use... :oops: Is it ever safe to dehydrate ground poultry meat? I'm not a big fan of super chewiness, having a mouth full of crowns. (And I think they call 'em crowns to make you feel better about the cost—doesn't work on me.😕)

Of course, you CAN skin them, :lau I just want to eat the skin enough to do the extra work

That's me as well. I love crispy chicken skin. I've also gotten faster at plucking over the years, so it doesn't seem like a ton of work to me now. We've actually never skinned a chicken before. Once, when I mentioned off hand that some people skin their chickens to save time, my husband looked genuinely horrified -- "they throw away the SKIN?"

Thanks for the details, I've never dried poultry but I did know you did NOT want to do it raw in a dehydrator the same as you can beef. Wanted to make that clear before someone poisoned themselves by accident.
No poisoning will happen with the right temp on the dehydrator. Lots of new dehydrators do different meats. Just like the instant pot does

That's me as well. I love crispy chicken skin. I've also gotten faster at plucking over the years, so it doesn't seem like a ton of work to me now. We've actually never skinned a chicken before. Once, when I mentioned off hand that some people skin their chickens to save time, my husband looked genuinely horrified -- "they throw away the SKIN?"
I throw the skin into the bon fire and feed the earth with it

Back
Top Bottom