Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

I spent a year traveling eating "Low Carb" prepackaged foods as I blew up to 50 pounds over my ideal weight. I spent another year at home eating the same stuff by less of it and no weight loss. I couldn't figure out why I could not lose weight, figured I was just too old and I got fat like the rest of my family. I was miserable and not enjoying life because the food I was eating was not making me happy. Then I figured I would just eat a bunch of carbs and die young but happy.. suicide by carbs. So I bought a sack of potatoes and dug out my old Deep Fryer I had not used in a long time and ate 10 pounds of potatoes in one sitting., I was so happy and did not care how much weight I gained I was eating french fries for the rest of my perceived short life. I kept doing this but I was not salting them I was using spices like Turmeric and Cumin and Garlic powder. I loved it, its all I ate with a few exceptions. I ate them by the pound for about 3 months when I noticed my belt holes were moving in the skinny direction, I even had to buy a new belt so I thought I should weight myself. I had lost 30 pounds, 10 pounds a month, in 6 months I was back to my normal weight. I lost weight eating French Fries? eventually I figured out what it was. Prepackaged foods are loaded with preservatives that do not react well with my body. Now French Fries are probably not the answer but not eating Prepackaged foods or fast food seems to be the key for my weight loss. I believe if you keep natural foods in your diet and only natural foods your body will stop processing carbs and let them pass when it feels it has had enough. Thats my guess. Eat closer to the farm and further from the factory.

I spent a year traveling eating "Low Carb" prepackaged foods as I blew up to 50 pounds over my ideal weight. I spent another year at home eating the same stuff by less of it and no weight loss. I couldn't figure out why I could not lose weight, figured I was just too old and I got fat like the rest of my family. I was miserable and not enjoying life because the food I was eating was not making me happy. Then I figured I would just eat a bunch of carbs and die young but happy.. suicide by carbs. So I bought a sack of potatoes and dug out my old Deep Fryer I had not used in a long time and ate 10 pounds of potatoes in one sitting., I was so happy and did not care how much weight I gained I was eating french fries for the rest of my perceived short life. I kept doing this but I was not salting them I was using spices like Turmeric and Cumin and Garlic powder. I loved it, its all I ate with a few exceptions. I ate them by the pound for about 3 months when I noticed my belt holes were moving in the skinny direction, I even had to buy a new belt so I thought I should weight myself. I had lost 30 pounds, 10 pounds a month, in 6 months I was back to my normal weight. I lost weight eating French Fries? eventually I figured out what it was. Prepackaged foods are loaded with preservatives that do not react well with my body. Now French Fries are probably not the answer but not eating Prepackaged foods or fast food seems to be the key for my weight loss. I believe if you keep natural foods in your diet and only natural foods your body will stop processing carbs and let them pass when it feels it has had enough. Thats my guess. Eat closer to the farm and further from the factory.
Potatoes are so good for you especially without the salt and fattening stuff on it.

I eat all carbs and I’m losing. I eat all plant foods. Beans are my go to for protein.

Those prepackaged foods have a lot of salt too. Too much salt isn’t good for you. Processed stuff I believe is why heart failure is so common in the US, it’s all the sodium people forget is in that stuff.

Us too! I lost 100lbs. DH lost 35. You think the thing that's gonna be the big deal is buying smaller clothes & allowing your family to include you in photos, but really, the big deal is completely how much better you feel! :celebrateCongratulations!!!
Prepackaged foods are loaded with preservatives that do not react well with my body.
I eat all carbs and I’m losing. I eat all plant foods. Beans are my go to for protein.

I am convinced that each person is different and that it's critical to find the right diet for your individual metabolism.

My doctor actually revoked the diagnosis of pre-diabetic a couple years ago. He said that yes, my blood glucose response curve was abnormal but it hadn't changed in the decade he'd been seeing me (and which had been in my medical history since I was a teenager), so it was just me and we would stop worrying about it.

I am convinced that each person is different and that it's critical to find the right diet for your individual metabolism.

My doctor actually revoked the diagnosis of pre-diabetic a couple years ago. He said that yes, my blood glucose response curve was abnormal but it hadn't changed in the decade he'd been seeing me (and which had been in my medical history since I was a teenager), so it was just me and we would stop worrying about it.
I agree. When people tell me they want to go plant based I tell them that it’s not for everyone. Some people cannot thrive like I do on it.

My blood tests have drastically changed since I went plant based. I’m watched very carefully by my drs.

I’m the only one who eats this way in my family so sometimes that’s a hard pill to swallow when we go out to eat... everyone gets big huge dinners and there I am getting steamed veggies, salad, or a plain baked potato.

I love crockpotted dry beans. Although I use Chicken Broth so its not plant based for me but I prefer beans to meat. I missed beans when I was going low carb.
I do veggie broth that I make or veggie stock.

I really want to try a plant based gumbo some day.

I use a lot of chicken broth for my families dinner. I cook 2 dinners every day. I don’t mind. Butchering their meat has been one thing that we have truly benefited from.

We rarely buy store meat 🥩

Wow that is a huge accomplishment :clap

I am plant based and I have only lost 50 lbs. I have lost 10 lbs just this month I am not sure why, but I am not complaining and neither is my closet now that I fit into all the clothes my mom gave me. All of them had tags on them. She gave me all her size 8's and I used to be a size 16. Mostly was health related nothing to do with eating poorly. Lots of steroids...
Steroids can be lifesaving when you need them, but the side effects are hell. :hugs I've never had to take them but I used to work in nursing so I've seen how people suffer from steroids.

We've mostly lost our weight by cutting out grains & sweets; not completely, but for the most part we just don't eat them.

Been processing a few birds a day from my batch of CX. Today I ran out of males and started processing females. the males were taking me 6 to 7 minutes to skin and process, the first female (never processed any female of any breed or hybrid) took me 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Their skin comes off like peeling a banana. I may just order Cornish females since they are cheaper. They grow a bit slower but if it saves me processing time I will order females from now on. However if straight run is cheaper to order I will just get that. I have like 3 or 4 birds left, Then I have to break out the recipes and start eating chicken.

Been processing a few birds a day from my batch of CX. Today I ran out of males and started processing females. the males were taking me 6 to 7 minutes to skin and process, the first female (never processed any female of any breed or hybrid) took me 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Their skin comes off like peeling a banana. I may just order Cornish females since they are cheaper. They grow a bit slower but if it saves me processing time I will order females from now on. However if straight run is cheaper to order I will just get that. I have like 3 or 4 birds left, Then I have to break out the recipes and start eating chicken.
I never noticed the hens being faster or easier to process, but I pluck them. Cornish-X are all very easy to pluck. Especially when compared to a duck!

Back
Top Bottom