Chubby Duck....Use of Oxine????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hunter0704, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Have three WH female ducks 11 weeks old. One of them is quite a bit heaver (fuller body) than the other two and am wondering if she just eats lots of food, or if there might be a problem??? They started on un-medicated chick starter (I also have four 10 wk old chicks) and 2 1/2 weeks ago Rural King suggested I put them on Flock Raiser...that feed bag was almost empty so I now have them on regular crumbles. Could the flock raiser food have added the weight to her? They get some lettuce, tomatoes, grass and clover every now and then...no more than twice a week. I saw on BYC if a duck gets too heavy they can get kidney problems??

Another question...My run is covered in pea gravel with underlayments, but now with the cold temps I have covered the pea gravel with straw so the ducks feet have some warmth. My question is on BYC I have seen BYCers clean their runs with Oxine. Here is the quote I am wondering about: "Oxine without activator can be sprayed right on chickens. I use Oxine without activator each time I clean the coop...thats about twice a week." Granted this statement was for chickens, but since I have both in the same run does this apply? Have any of you duck owners ever used this product, and if so for what reason? Have you used this product to clean your runs? Is it safe to use on your ducks? Would I need to use this product?

Presently I clean the run daily, if my hose isn't frozen up, with the sprinkle dial on my hose to break down the poop so it will wash down through the pea gravel....even where I have straw. Once a week I rake up the run straw and replace with fresh. Is this enough, or should I be doing more? I change out their nests and the nesting area every 2-3 days with fresh straw.

Thanks for your help and answers...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:I'm not sure, but I think the oxine is to kill any mold that develops from things being wet and damp. It wouldn't be a bad idea, but I think it would be more helpful in warm weather. My birds don't get locked in their run very often, and it's big enough I don't clean it at all except to till it occasionally or put leaves, grass clippings, etc to give them something to pick through, so I think what you are doing is fine.
    As far as your duckling, maybe she just has a different shape is more heavily built than the others? Does she have any problems walking?

3. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    No problems walking....she definitely waddles!!! Otherwise, all the girls appear to be healthy...was just concerned since she is so much larger. Thanks for the reply too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by