Chuckars on the ground?

rabbit2u

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2018
I ordered 50 eggs from ebay and I had 35 to hatch. Can I keep these birds in an enclosed building? If so, do I need to keep anything on the flooring. It is plywood covered with hay right now. What about using shaving? It's a 10'x10'x7'. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated I live in Virginia, so it does get very humid here. It's been a really hot summer....Thanks Weldon

Are Chukars the same thing as Bekisars? Someone gave us a Bekisar when I was a kid. It was a beautiful bird but had the loudest, strangest crow of any bird I've ever heard. It sounded sorta like a huge foghorn. :gig

Are Chukars the same thing as Bekisars? Someone gave us a Bekisar when I was a kid. It was a beautiful bird but had the loudest, strangest crow of any bird I've ever heard. It sounded sorta like a huge foghorn. :gig
I truly do not know...

How old are the birds? The size is adequate for that may chicks but wouldn't want to keep that many adult birds in an enclosure that size. Pine or hardwood shavings would be best for bedding. Straw tends to mildew and get moldy from water spills and poop.

Last edited:
How old are the birds? The size is adequate for that may chicks but wouldn't want to keep that many adult birds in an enclosure that size. Pine or hardwood shavings would be best for bedding. Straw tends to mildew and get moldy from water spills and poop.
Right now the birds are just going on 2 weeks old...They featherd out pretty quickly.

For the size I have, how many adult birds would you recommend for the it...It was a 10'x10'x7'...

For the size I have, how many adult birds would you recommend for the it...It was a 10'x10'x7'...
8 to 12 birds max. Partridges can be very aggressive sometimes. Just be sure to have cover so a bullied bird can get away from an aggressor. In general, a landscaped pen will help with the contentness of the birds.

8 to 12 birds max. Partridges can be very aggressive sometimes. Just be sure to have cover so a bullied bird can get away from an aggressor. In general, a landscaped pen will help with the contentness of the birds.
Thank you for responding back to me, so I guess a land scaped pen could be added to my building to allow the birds to get outside? Should it be covered from rain...rock down? anything would be helpful. My chuckars are 10 old today and doing great...I have heard if you raise them together, that they will usually pick out a pecking order early on and then it's not a big problem later. I don't think I'd add new birds to other birds that weren't raised together...

Back
Top Bottom