1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chukar and pheasant pens

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by bigkford, Aug 11, 2009.

1. bigkford

bigkford Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    I see and read all the different cages people have these birds in. I have a natural brush growth that entails small bushes and tall grass. I have 16' high by 30' long by 5 foot wide. Are the a good range for chukar and peasants to live in with a shelter box or two?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

That's going to about the size our pen will be when it's finished. We are leaving all the brush and weeds etc growing in it. The only down side I can see with ours is it will be harder to go in and catch them.

Steve in NC

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

bigkford, Ringneck type pheasants should have at least 19-20 sqf per bird.. Unsure of chukar space requirements..

30x5 = 150 sq ft, that comes out to about 7-8 birds for this pen size, if heavy cover and peepers are used, maybe a few more would work out..

One thing with heavy cover and or high cover is finding eggs in it.... When my grass gets over 8" in my flight pens its get some what difficult to find the green colored eggs in it..

Hope this helps

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  4. bigkford

Apr 20, 2009
    Thank you, that helps alot. I have three pens that size we were gonna use. The grass is only about 2 1/2 to 3 feet high.

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

bigkford, grass that high will give some good ground cover, they'll love that.. [​IMG]

6. bigkford

Apr 20, 2009
    That is what I thought too. There is also s small grape vine in there that is on a trellace. I thought they would like to hide in there too. I hope it works out for them. Thanks Kim

7. kikescove.com

kikescove.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Selah Washington
    Thats a great sized pen Kim and they will love the grass cover. There are a lot of chukars out there with much smaller places to call home. NICE

8. schultzy

schultzy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2009
    this is my pen it is good and its good for finding eggs in it to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is 76 by 50. and im adding 50 more feed when i geat the $ for the fens
    hope it helps

9. schultzy

schultzy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2009
    feet*

10. bigkford

Apr 20, 2009
    Quote:Those are great pens! Where do you live? I wish I could get away with that simple set up. Mine have 12" block buried in the ground along with fencing and rubber mats then four inch block set on top of that with cage set in between the layers. And yes that is inside and out. Alot of time and work went into mine. But hopefully I can set up something along those lines with the same barracades on the bottom. Good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by