Chukar and pheasant pens

bigkford

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
I see and read all the different cages people have these birds in. I have a natural brush growth that entails small bushes and tall grass. I have 16' high by 30' long by 5 foot wide. Are the a good range for chukar and peasants to live in with a shelter box or two?

bigkford, Ringneck type pheasants should have at least 19-20 sqf per bird.. Unsure of chukar space requirements..

30x5 = 150 sq ft, that comes out to about 7-8 birds for this pen size, if heavy cover and peepers are used, maybe a few more would work out..

One thing with heavy cover and or high cover is finding eggs in it.... When my grass gets over 8" in my flight pens its get some what difficult to find the green colored eggs in it..

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thank you, that helps alot. I have three pens that size we were gonna use. The grass is only about 2 1/2 to 3 feet high.

bigkford, grass that high will give some good ground cover, they'll love that..
ya.gif

That is what I thought too. There is also s small grape vine in there that is on a trellace. I thought they would like to hide in there too. I hope it works out for them. Thanks Kim

this is my pen it is good and its good for finding eggs in it to.

99.jpg

999.jpg

99999999999.jpg

it is 76 by 50. and im adding 50 more feed when i geat the $ for the fens
hope it helps

Quote:
Those are great pens! Where do you live? I wish I could get away with that simple set up. Mine have 12" block buried in the ground along with fencing and rubber mats then four inch block set on top of that with cage set in between the layers. And yes that is inside and out. Alot of time and work went into mine. But hopefully I can set up something along those lines with the same barracades on the bottom. Good job.

Back
Top Bottom