Chukar chick with a club foot- Added pics- New Update 8/1

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
So I just picked up 4 very young cudkar chicks, a couple days old at most, and one has a clubbed foot. I held it as straight as I could and wrapped it with tiny strips of vet wrap. Any other suggestions what to do or how to do it to try to correct it? The chhick seems to get around ok, and actually a little better, perhaps, now with it wrapped, but they are TIRED little babies from their trip and are all sleeping soundly for the night, so I can't really tell if I did a good job.

How tight should the wrap be? Should it be braced with something? Should I use a different tape?

I will be watching closely all day tomorrow, checking on their progress. They are SOOOO tiny, I worry about them surviving.

Last edited:
Ok, the club foot was turning all the way in and the toes were curled. I straightened the leg and wrapped the vet wrap around the ankle to straighhten it out. Did nothing with the toes.

I read that other link (thank you) and will try to figure something out tomorrow with fixing the toes, but the foot is no longer clubbing in when the chick runs away from me. It is getting around all right and the leg at least is a bit more straight. Here are some not so great pictures.... my phone camera is not the best, but iit should give an idea.

59865_2011-07-29_22-14-05_827.jpg

59865_2011-07-29_22-14-13_867.jpg

Ok - I think the link I showed you will fix your problem. Don't wait too long to make the "shoe" and put it on, because the younger and more maleable the bones are, the faster this clears up. I've had the shoes fix curled toes in just 24 hours on wearing the splint. Using band aids works fantastic for adhering the carboard shoes. You can cut it to the size and shape you want, its light, water resistant and breathable. It helps to have another person help you put on the shoes, and it can take a few tries to get the fit right.

Thank you RHRanch. I will work on it tomorrow, but as of right now, the little clubfoot is the only one up and about. I think maybe it likes the added mobility. I just hope they all make it. They are so tiny, its tough to know how to help them.

Chickens have been SOOO much easier than my quail, pheasants and now chukar.

Quote:
Just make sure the vet wrap is not too tight. It could cut off the circulation and kill the foot. Just make sure it stays warm and pink. Or the same color and temperature as the other leg and foot.

I left the bandage on overnight and took it off this mornng. The leg was a little straighte, not clubbed so much, but one toe iis definitely broken. I tried the brace, but the little leg and toes are just too small. We wrapped it agaiin with vet wrap, keeping the toes flat and made it a little tighter with bandaid strips. The littlun is getting around ok.

I lost one of them last night. Don't know what was wrong with it, but it was sprawled out dead this morning. They are just so tiny and frail at this age. The other 3 seem pretty good. They were eatiing and drinking and moving about all day.

Ok, we left the bandage on for about a day and a half and just took it off. The foot is now laying in the correct position. The broken toe looks much better and the littlun is running around happily. Keep you fingers crossed!
fl.gif

Just fyi: I lost another one today. Don't know what was wrong. It was fine yesterday. This morning it was laying on its side with a pasty putt. I cleaned it off and it was alive when I got home from work, but I triied to give it a bit of water wiith a syringe, but it dies very shortly after. Poor little thing.

I have 2 left from 4, including Clubfoot. I hope that is all the casualties. Id hate for another to die and leave only one. I have quail eggs under a Mama hen, but they aren't due for a couple weeks and I hate chickies to be alone.

Back
Top Bottom