Chukar Partridge Chicks Hatching!

EriRojas

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
California
My chukar partridge chicks are hatching! So excited. I have around 70 of them, already started selling them locally on day one that they hatched!

Day one of hatching

Day 2

This is them in a little brooder/display set up I keep them in so people don't have to go into my facility for bio security reasons and just go inside my house and choose from a small group there.

Yeah I have so many! I sell them locally I want to start selling them and shipping them out of state and within the state because I have people driving 3 hours to my house and 3 hours back, that's 6 hours total just to get chukars! I want to sell them online because I feel bad that they are driving so much just to get them.

They are so cute!!!!! If you start shipping day old chicks to different states please let me know. Very intersted!!!

Okay ill let you know! I still have to look into it and stuff but yeah defiantly something I want to get into!:)

I just hatched about a dozen chukars in the bator for the first time. just a bit worried. Would be grateful if you could give some advice and relieve some burden of not knowing:-
1. what to put as bedding on the floor?
2. Can these have mareks?
3. Many of the 5 days old are reluctant to walk up straight and basically shift on their (knees ?) haunches. Is that ok for the little ones?
4. Some times once in a while they gape as if to yawn. Should i be concerned and act right away?
5. i read at one place to administer antibiotics from 7th to 13th day as a routine safeguard. Do you support? I am inclined but need an opinion.
Can I get a schedule for routine medications / preventive vaccines any where?

Thanks in advance.

First, Breathe...

The haunch thing you talk about... they kinda stand like that as adults so I wouldn't be too worried.

I'm not sure if that's a yawn but I see mine do that too. My daughter calls it yawning so...

Bedding = nothing slippery. I used to put pee pads with a rubber netting. I hear you can buy something like it at almost any store. Shelf liner. - not the slippery sticky paper :) paper towels or a textured cloth could work for now but NOT newspaper.

As far as mereks I don't think so. I do know if you buy them from a hatchery (I just looked lol) they don't offer any vaccinations with them.
I'm not sure why the antibiotics...if they aren't sick...of course that's just my opinion.
Mine are healthy happy little fatties. I hatched them. Then fed them unmedicated chick mash and ground up gamebird crumbles. With dried mealworms ground in to make sure they got enough protein.
Now they eat gamebird crumbles and dried mealworms are the treats :)

Keep then warm, dry with plenty of food and water. These are hearty little birds. You should be just fine.

Feel free to yell with any questions at all. Of all my birds - Turkeys, ducks, guinea fowl, chickens (including bantams), quail and recently geese, I think the chukars are my favorite. They are so comical. Better than having a fish tank. I can sit and watch them forever!

Looked up last years photos

That's a guinea in the front and a chukar at the back see how the chukar stands more upright?
They're a few weeks old in this pic.

Baby chukars (and a few assorted friends). with peepad and netting.

A bit older getting feathers....

I think about 6 or 7 weeks in this pic.

The current state of my little fatties :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom