Chukar photos... need to figure out males/females... help?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Mrs MIA, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I went out with my list of criteria for sexing my 9-10 week old chukars, and I swear they're ALL the same!!
    Do you have clear photos of male and female chukars that you can share, and any helpful hints for sexing them?
    Thanks!!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    sorry no chukars here but i'd love to see pictures of yourrrs [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Babies...
    [​IMG]

5 weeks old...
    [​IMG]

And a couple of weeks ago...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You're just too quick for me... I realized that I forgot to copy the other two... [​IMG] It's fixed now.

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    You probably already know this info but im bored and am doing some searching for you

says that at a year old you can tell males because of spurs, or wait until the hen lays eggs. [​IMG]

adult males will have a "cone shaped protuberance" and it's located centrally in the cloacal fold.

adult males have blockier heads

*if i find any more possible useful info i'll post it for ya*

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

You're just too quick for me... I realized that I forgot to copy the other two... [​IMG] It's fixed now.

they are very pretty! i wondered if that was the issue (thati was just too quick) LOL!​

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    So at 10 weeks they're still too young to tell. [​IMG] Dang it. I need to hand off 10 of them this weekend, but I want to keep enough females for a good ratio. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to wing it.

Thanks for the search. [​IMG] All I found was that the males were slightly bigger, and had a wider black band across the eyes. And something to do with knobby knees... [​IMG]

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

So at 10 weeks they're still too young to tell. [​IMG] Dang it. I need to hand off 10 of them this weekend, but I want to keep enough females for a good ratio. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to wing it.

Thanks for the search. [​IMG] All I found was that the males were slightly bigger, and had a wider black band across the eyes. And something to do with knobby knees... [​IMG]

lol knobby knees

if it was me, in that situation, id try vent sexing and do my best to guess from there! [​IMG]

9. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, at that age it is almost impossible to tell. The differences are males are quite larger then females, they also have a deeper red color around the eyes and the legs than the females. When the get older, you will see the spur nubs, but some only have one as well. Females won't get spurs at all. Chuckars are very hard to sex until they mature though, so good luck!

BTW, you will want to keep one rooster per 10 or more hens, if you have more than one rooster in a pen with not enough hens, they will kill them from topping them too much. They don't eat a lot, and won't hurt each other out of breeding season, so I would suggest that you just keep them until you can tell for sure. If you don't have enough hens, you will have problems, trust me.

A pic of some chuckars on my farm:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by