Chukars Disappear.. REALLY!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Riffecreek, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    I recently had a pair of chukars put in the mail and poof... they just disappear!! [​IMG] They left on Monday, and the last time they were scanned was at 1:16 Tuesday morning!!! If they make it here in the morning, I feel decent about saving them... but it's not looking good... and if they don't arrive by Saturday, I feel it will be a total loss. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Sorry to hear. Hopefully they'll be alright.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    What Chukar? I Didnt See Any Chukar

4. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Quote:Yea, tell me about it.. and they are the easy to find kind and cheap when you do.. You know the WHITE ONES!!
    Maybe the storms held them up... but that don't change the fact that they are in danger of dehydration from an 80+ hour trip if they make it here by morning...

5. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    agh sucky.

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    they are the easy to find .... You know the WHITE ONES!!

YEP THEM OUTTA STICK OUT IN THE POST OFFICE LIKE A TURD IN A PUNCH BOWL....​

7. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Quote:Thank god I put a apple in with them I hope they show up this morning.I have never herd of this thing happening befor not being lost this long.I am so sorry this happended.
    Bill & fuzzybutt Betty

8. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    I just got a phone call from the post office they are at your post office now.
    Bill

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:DIDNT MAKE IT AS SOON AS EXPECTED AFTER THE WEATHER?

AT LEAST THEY ARE FOUND AND SAFE. I'D GET 'EM AND GET 'EM SETTLED IN AND FED/ WATERED AND RESTED [​IMG]

THE POST OFFICE USUALLY DOES A REALLY GOOD JOB... BUT WEIRD STUFF DOES HAPPEN. I SUPPOSE YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY THEY TURNED UP AND HOPEFULLY NO MORE WORSE FOR WEAR THAN GROUCHY, HUNGRY, AND WIDE EYED

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  10. philter4

philter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Placerville CA
    I bought a pair of birds from Florida and had them sent to CA, because I live in the mountains the Next Day service is actually 2 day but most of the time my post office is pretty good, the people here know me and my animals and they do whatever they can to help me. Anyway, as with all of my shipments I start checking the tracking number about 12 hours after they have been dropped off. The scans said Monday 9:00am accepted by post office, at 11:00am they were scanned at the sort facility in FL and at 6:00 am Tuesday (less then 24 hours later) they were scanned in the sort facility near my delivery post office. I waited until 8:30 and went down to the post office with my tracking # and when they opened I asked them if they could find the birds so I could take them rather then wait for the delivery at home. The birds weren't there. I started calling and looking for the birds, the sort facility is only 42.8 miles from the delivery office according to mapquest so I figured there would be no problem getting them. The day was spent stressfully looking for these birds and at 6:30 pm I gave up for the night because even though I was willing to keep trying the post offices were now closed and I couldn't get real people on the phone. The next morning at 8:00 I got a call from my post office that the birds were there so I went down and picked them up. They were fine, and are now doing well in their pen here at the house.

I ship animals for a living so I know the procedure for shipping, but I have never done birds until last year, normally I do fish, reptiles and mammals, and we pack them to go at least 2 days and for the fish and reptiles even longer. There is no guarantee that something like bad weather doesn't make them miss a connection or human error and they end up somewhere else for a while so we make sure they have the ability to make it. For mammals they get care at each connection, it is the law, so they are actually better off then birds, and fish and reptiles can go for days without food as long as the temps don't drop too low or get too high. These birds got scanned and because they were not guaranteed to be delivered on Tuesday, they were put off to the side as low priority, to me this is not only morally wrong but should be illegal, it isn't like it is a piece of wood or whatever, these are live animals and I can't believe that a person actually looked at the shipping box (which is the approved bird boxes required by the postal service that clearly says live birds and even has a window on top to visually inspect the birds by if needed) and decided they were low priority because of a delivery time that was longer then any other box containing non parishable materials. I filed a complaint, and a couple of days later there was a follow up call to ask some questions but I have not heard anything else since and it has been several months now.

My thought is the people who handled the bird that day just didn't care. As I mentioned the people at my delivery post office tried to help and called me several times during the day to give me updates as they tried to track the birds along with me, but someone at this sort facility was just doing the minimum job he/she needed to do to complete his work and go home. It can be very frustrating when others just do the job they are required to and take no other interest or actions based on special circumstances.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by