Chukars- do people eat them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChelC, May 17, 2008.

1. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    I went to the feed store today and saw the smallest chicks I've ever seen. They were all feet. Turns out they were chukars, which I had never even heard of. What do people raise them for?

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Well a lot of people use them as dog training if you don't hunt you could sell them for 5-8$$ a piece to hunters or you could keep them for pets. Chukar are very good food they taste like ruffed grouse and kinda like chicken a little gamier.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I raise them, and eat them. They are very tasty. I also sell them for pets, and to hunting preserves. They are one of the easiest game birds to raise, and are full of personality, but make sure you don't have too many males during mating season, or you will lose a bunch of hens...

4. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    My neighbor used to go hunting chukars with his dogs. If it's true that they taste like grouse, then eat chukar! Grouse is considered the epitome of all of the poultry breeds. I've enjoyed it tremendously. Pheasant and quail were a huge disappointment. Wild turkey cooked on a rotisserie was a gourmand's delight!

5. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i like to raise chucker they are really cute

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by