Chukars in loft with pigeons

LamarshFish

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 26, 2015
As a few of you know, I have just finished building my first pigeon loft. It is not large, I am only starting with 6 squeakers and do not intend to keep more than 12 at any given time.

I currently have pair of 3 year old chukars (in my profile pic), one male one female (they do not sit on their eggs, so no hatching, I just eat them lol). They are in a funky bunny hutch in my garage next to a window. It is falling apart, so I am looking to get them a new cage, but my new pigeon loft is built so well, I really put my time into it, and I was wondering whether my chukars could live in the loft with my new pigeons? I have seen this topic come up a bit on here and other forums, but have seen mixed opinions.

Keep in mind, my chukars are 3 years old, have never lived with any other birds, just the two of them. My pigeons are just squeakers.

My chukars are not particularly friendly to me, if I reach in their cage they try to evade me, and the male will peck at me, but, strangely, when I let them out in my garage it is the male that lets me pick him up and pet him, but the female just always tries to run away from me, but never tries to peck at me. Generally, I think they are pretty ornery birds (but nothing like bobwhite quail, those things are vicious SOBs lol).

My guess is it is probably not a good idea, but I thought I would see what some of you think. I am wondering if I have any kind of opportunity at the moment for this to work out when my pigeons are just youngsters (but the chukars are old).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh, I should note, one thing I was thinking about that may be a challenge is the fact that I feed my chukars a pelletized game bird feed, which I hear is not great to feed pigeons (not because it's pelletized, but because of ingredients or lack of ingredients), whereas I plan on feeding my pigeons a pigeon specific seed/grain mix. Can't really think of ways to keep them from eating each other's feed....

I am inclined to agree with you. Someone will get bullied I am thinking in my own mind. I have no ideas to be honest and unless someone has experience with what you are attempting there is only one way to find out. I would be more inclined to separate them with a barrier of chicken wire to be honest.

Thanks! I think you are right. The barrier won't work though, because the whole purpose of me putting my chukars in there was so they could have a nice larger loft and aviary to use, so the wire barrier would sort of defeat that purpose.

I've had courtnix Japanese quail with pigeons and various other birds, working fine but I provided brush bows braches hollow logs and stumps etc for them to hide and nest etc from the other birds.. course courtnix quail are lil and friendly especially if fed mealworms etc treats, and when I'd come near aviary my feral pigeons would bully quail at that time only seen or especially to get treats and attention. On feed, I use lowest 15-16% crumble layer (I can't find 12% if available), and works good for mature quail and young to breeding pigeons. Manna pro conditioner i think is the supplement feed for pigeons chukars etc

I have heard Chukars can be a bit temperamental, is this true? I would say avoid putting them together when the pigeons are young as they are still finding their feet and may get bullied. When they are mature however they will be able to stand up for themselves so this may be a possibility then. They are also good flyers (dependant on the breeds) so could probably move out of the Chukars way. As for their diets, if the pigeons are kept up high then where the chukars can not reach it then they would not be able to get it and as far as pigeons eating their pellets goes i often add my layers pellets for my quails to my pigeons diet as it is good for them. But I doubt they could live off it alone. Perhaps if you trailed it before their hutch completely becomes unusable, this way if it does not work you could remove them again. Just keep and eye on what the pigeons are eating and if they just take a few pellets here and there but are still eating the majority of their own food then there is no harm done.

Back
Top Bottom