Chukars in New York: Winter Preparation Questions

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by amib, Nov 3, 2014.

1. amib

amib Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    I live in New York and recently discovered that the 5 "guinea hens" I purchased are in fact chukars. I was raising them with my chickens, but have recently built them their own enclosure after learning that they shouldn't be raised with chickens.

What should I do to winterize their pen? I already have electric run out there for their water heater, but I'm not sure what else to do. We build 2 boxes with a cutout and attached them to the pen, but I'm not sure if that's enough.
    Here are some pictures of my current set up.

(PS: Both the chukars and the chickens are VERY upset that they've been separated. [​IMG])

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. snoopysflock

snoopysflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Northern north carolina
    wrap the outside with a tarp and put a heat light in the coop

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No no no don't give them heat.Wrap the top 3 ft of their pen so when they roost they don't get a draft blowing on them.These are very hardy birds and will survive thru the winter with no problems.Use a clear poly so they have all the light they can get.They have climatized for the winter and if you give them heat they may go into a molt and lose their down they they have produced to keep them warm.Providing heat for any bird does more harm then good.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. amib

amib Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Tony, I took your advice and they did well through the winter! Such tough birds they are!!

Last edited: May 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by