chukar's or pheasants? which one to raise?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by itsasmallfarm, Oct 30, 2016.

1. pheasants

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. chukars

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. neither

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    hello a new bird keeper here (just started out with chickens this year) and am wondering which gamebird should i look at keeping for meat production either pheasants or chukar's. my grandparents raised both around 25+ years ago. but just wondering which one is easier to raise? what are the minimum requirements for space. (i like to raise my birds in a natural setting)

Am looking at raising either blue back or melanistic pheasants or simple chukars (ring necks require a permit where i live where those other two don't) but any info would be great and very helpful on either one.

thank you for reading asmallfarm out.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Neither are easy as they are cannibals.Your pen will have to be huge to raise a number of them.It also helps to put lots of cover like branches or stick piles for them to hide in.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. theswede

theswede Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Woodbury, TN
    I raised my first 100 chukars this year. They are 7 months old right now. They are hard to grow, and I lost several. But have learned alot since I've started. They are a very pretty bird, but will run fast if you try to get near them. I am debating now whether to raise more from egg and chick. The cost is more to raise them, and the pay out is no more than a chicken in my area of the world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by