1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ciao from Italy!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cathnmike, Oct 29, 2011.

1. cathnmike

cathnmike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    Hi everyone,

My name's Cath, originally from the UK but I now live in a rural part of Italy (Le Marche) with my husband, two dogs and many, many visitors (in the summer - not so many once the weather turns cold!).

I've joined the forum because next year we plan to keep chickens and at the moment I know nothing about them [​IMG] ... but I'm a quick learner! [​IMG]

We live in an old Italian farmhouse which has its own olive grove, orchard, woodland and sunflower field. So that's good in terms of land for chickens to roam, not so good in terms of predators (mainly fox and wild boar). We have a large, ready-built stone chicken-house with a fenced-in run which is good [​IMG] but it's not been used for years and is, shall we say, a little basic [​IMG] so needs a lot of work doing to it. Which will keep me out of trouble during the winter months - so that's also good. [​IMG]

So, I'm looking forward to being here, learning a lot and, when I am more experienced in all this, paying back to this community.

Best wishes

Cath.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    [​IMG] from South Carolina..

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Very happy you joined us!

[​IMG]

5. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG] from the U.K. [​IMG]

6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Glad to here from you!!!!!!!!!!! There are folk from all over the world here. Italy lovely ! We want to visit !!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Chickens are easy to learn to look after. You shouldn't have too much of a problem.
    What part of the UK did you come from??????????? I came from the Bristol area but now live in Ireland. We love Spain and often dream of moving there and getting a nice place like yours! Good for you!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Oesdog [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. featherfriendlyinIowa52

featherfriendlyinIowa52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    NW Iowa
    :DWelcome and your home sounds beautiful. Speaking of fox, I told my husband there was a beautiful one dead on the road yesterday. He hates to hear that as always enjoyed feeding them in the quarry he worked at for many years. Being new to chickens myself, however, I told them that's "one less fox in the henhouse!" He had to agree with me there.

8. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Welcome! It sounds as though you live in a beautiful part of the world. Your chickens will thrive there - and you'll learn all you need to know about keeping predators at bay on BYC! (and we may all be dropping in on you next summer [​IMG] )

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Texas. Sounds like a lovely place.

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by