Cicada Brood X coming!

SLA

Songster
Jan 15, 2021
I’m in Cincinnati and this May the 17 year cicada brood x will be emerging. Millions of these creatures will be seeking mates using calls in the 96 decibel range. They emerge from the ground (the girls’ run), then fly indiscriminately in their procreation quest. I’m sure my young adult chickens might enjoy munching on these, but I’m concerned about the abundance and loudness of these cicadas (they will be everywhere!). Have any of you veteran chicken-raisers been through this event 17 years ago? How did it impact your flock?

I've never been through it, but I would just make sure the chickens have grit available (to grind up the cicadas they eat!), and not worry about how many they eat.

I am sure the noise of cicadas will not bother the chickens, which is good, because I don't think you could do anything about the noise anyway.

I dont have 17 year cicadas, just the texas species that emerge every year. I only see the cicada songs bother the chickens on one occasion. After a hen manages to catch a cicada in her beak, she tries to discretely sneak away to privately enjoy her feast. Meanwhile the cicada is going "zzzzt, zzzzzzzt" the whole time the hen is trying to make her quiet getaway. That alerts other hens to come running and try to steal her catch. The "zzzzzt" sound really bothers the hen with the cicada in her beak. Its written all over her face "Bug, will you just shut up!" Yes, its hilarious to me. My advice is dont worry about the noise, just get ready for some great chicken tv!

Please update when Brood X begins emerging. I will be interested to know if the "swarm" is as bad as you predict. (Im a Master Naturalist & find such oddities very interesting). I actually Love hearing the cicada songs at my place. When they start their mating calls in the trees, i know summer is truly here. Cicadas seem to be the only creature that are Happy when temps hit 100 degrees. (Song birds, tree frogs, etc. all go silent). But i fully agree with you; i wouldnt want them flying into my face and hair!

The emergence of Brood X will be nothing like the typical summer cicadas. This will be my fourth round with this onslaught. Their decibel level can be between 80-100. You can’t walk anywhere without getting bombarded by these indiscriminate flyers. My husband and some others think they are cool, and the mystery of their inner timetable is interesting. They aren’t dangerous, but billions will be filling six weeks of our late spring/early summer. I’ll be sure to keep you updated!

I have been through multiple times. My birds could eat their fill on emerging nymphs at bases of trees. Nutritional value probably best then. Most recent event here about 10 years ago the chickens could forage over several acres worth of trees where nymphs were coming up. Thereafter they would consume spent cicadas that where less nutritive and less concentrated. The chickens were not interested in the cicadas during the middle of the day. My chickens free-range so they had choices.

Hey neighbor! I didn't have chickens 17 yrs ago but I too am on edge about it. I am going to up the egg shells and vitamins if they start gorging on them. You think webn will go this year? I'm going bugs and all.
The cicadas will be gone by the big blast, thank heavens.

Back
Top Bottom