Cicada's -n- Chickens LOL!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WonderChicken, Aug 15, 2010.

1. WonderChicken

WonderChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    High Ridge, Missouri
    So, last night sitting out on the deck a cicada came near. For those who may not know what cicada's are you can see pics of them here http://tiny.cc/ct6a7. They are a big bug-eyed bug that chirps loudly when bothered. So I took it and put it in a container thinking the chicks would have fun in the morning with it. Little did I know how much fun it would be!! I threw it in the run this morning before I let the chicks out to graze. It only took a moment for several to gather around it and stare quizicially. Guess they'd never seen such a big bug. One took a peck at it and the thing jumped around squealing...omg, I about died laughing...the chicks jumped into the air and ran like a bomb just went off! [​IMG] Each had to take a try at it with the same results. This went on for several minutes before Goldie finally figured out she could eat this big ole' bugger! Then the chase was on...I haven't laughed so hard in a while! I will definately be on the look out for more of them bugs tonight [​IMG] Have a great day!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    I could almost see the explosion of surprised chicks when their prey screamed. How funny!

3. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Those cicadas are scary things, I dont blame the chickies for freaking out! One of my chickens found one and spent about half an hour trying to get it down. They are quite large bugs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by